Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small-Batch(5L) BIAB setup

Hi All,

I was planning on building a 3 vessel 40L system with an automated control panel but my situation has changed some what and I have also discovered I can't consume a 20L corny keg fast enough before the beer ages. With this in mind, I am going to switch to small batch BIAB as I feel I won't end up with large amounts of beer that just aren't great cause of age and it will also get the Wife approval factor as it won't take up too much space.

Currently my plan is to go electric, but off the std 240V mains supply. I want to build the controlling unit either with a BrewPi or go a bit DIY and use CraftBeerPi. What I am needing help with is sourcing the following items and I need some help pointing me in the right direction:
    • min 12L Stainless Steel Pot
    • False Bottom to sit above electric element to fit the bought pot
    • Stainless steel 240v element
    • Heating Element enclosure

I will also be using the controller to control a pump for re-circulation during the mash/boil.

If at all possible I would like to source the components locally. So suggestions on where to get the above would be great, or any other suggestions on the proposed setup would also be appreciated.

Not sure if your situation is more a cost or a space constraint, but it might be worth considering a 20L or similar urn? Look out for a deal and it will probably be easier and cheaper than all of that. Just a false bottom/element guard you would have to sort out.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I would just buy a small urn. Use the Pi to control the element and bypass the clunky urn's thermostat.

Buy an urn that doesn't have an exposed element, similar to the Grainfather or Braumeister.

https://www.takealot.com/salton-8-li...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

And based on this:
      "and I have also discovered I can't consume a 20L corny keg fast enough"

I strongly suggest two things:

- change your login name
      - re-evaluate your priorities

Comment

Well since @langchop isn't saying it, I'd say if you're doing BIAB it's not THAT important to have a covered element, is it? Anyway, a cheap boiler like this will also work: https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/Al...ket/p/00775417

Just keep the bag off the bottom and you'll be fine (I think)?. You can easily do a small mash in there and boil it down to the volume you want, be that 5l or 10l or whatever size you are considering.
        Toxxyc
        Last edited by Toxxyc; 1 February 2019, 08:02.

Comment

Buy a growler and take homebrew when you visit people.

People love free beer and you might get good feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post

- change your login name

I cant remember who it was but someone else recently made the mistake of implying having excess beer coupled with the 'problem' of needing to consume it. I jokingly asked for address and what time we should all be there....which he then provided

Probably hasnt been on the forum since, due to constantly answering the doorbell!?

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            Well since @langchop isn't saying it, ... ... a cheap boiler like this will also work: https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/Al...ket/p/00775417 .
            Im practicing at keeping my unpopular ideas and methods to myself
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
              I would just buy a small urn. Use the Pi to control the element and bypass the clunky urn's thermostat.

Buy an urn that doesn't have an exposed element, similar to the Grainfather or Braumeister.

https://www.takealot.com/salton-8-li...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

And based on this:

- change your login name

I bought a 20l salton urn to serve as my sparge water heater, damn thing needs a good tilt when sparging 15l water at 75C to get my 15l out, it's not that much fun. The thermo/keep warm does actually keep my water at a constant 75C though.

I've had visions of making a cobbled together "grainfather" or diy "electric rims" using my v1 controller and one of those double skinned wall urns, a pump and having grainbasket fabricated.

Are you planning on making 10l batches? Oh, okay 5l - what's your budget?
              groenspookasem
              Banned
              Last edited by groenspookasem; 1 February 2019, 09:22. Reason: Read OP's post

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                Im practicing at keeping my unpopular ideas and methods to myself
                Please. Your beers are great, nothing to worry about. It works, and others should know about it as well. I actually found an old teapot heater stand thing in SS that I can use as a protector over the coil of these boilers, by the way.

Comment

... I actually found an old teapot heater stand thing in SS that I can use as a protector over the coil of these boilers, by the way.

Sweet. You got a pic? I currently use a SS colander, but it makes a lot of dead space in the middle of the bucket instead of just caging the little space around the relatively small element. I think I am going to make a little SS custom cage that I can easily hook up with a piece of wire (I remove the false bottom for fermenting.)
                  Langchop
                  Last edited by Langchop; 1 February 2019, 14:03.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

^ what about a veggie steam tray?

Screenshot_4.jpg
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      ^ what about a veggie steam tray?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1872[/ATTACH]
                      That is a great idea for something that can 'self adjust' to most size urns/ pots. Problem with the element in the little boilbucket is its not in the middle but just a little one on the side wall

IMG_20190201_140637.jpg

Edit: added image. Plus on further thought maybe that veggie thing with 2/3s of the flappy wings removed would work like a bomb
                      Langchop
                      Last edited by Langchop; 1 February 2019, 14:12.
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                        Sweet. You got a pic? I currently use a SS colander, but it makes a lot of dead space in the middle of the bucket instead of just caging the little space around the relatively small element. I think I am going to make a little SS custom cage that I can easily hook up with a piece of wire (I remove the false bottom for fermenting.)
                        Not mine, but it looks a bit like this:

It's designed to hold a tealight candle under a teapot. Teapot fell and broke, so I have this left. Seriously thinking it'll do great in the bottom of the boiling bucket. I'll bring it along for you if you remind me, you can check out how it works?

Comment

Not mine, but it looks a bit like this:

It's designed to hold a tealight candle under a teapot. Teapot fell and broke, so I have this left. Seriously thinking it'll do great in the bottom of the boiling bucket. I'll bring it along for you if you remind me, you can check out how it works?

Sorry just saw this now. Not to worry, thank you, I have a SS colander on mine with a cutout to accommodate the element. Probably dont actually need one anymore since I started controlling mash temp by power level rather than power bursts.

That one looks nice and solid.
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                          X