Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pot?

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster

So I've been doing extract & partial mash recipes for a bit but want to switch over to BIAB all-grain now.
    I've been looking around at different urns & pots but at this stage paying R1500+ for something I rarely have time for these days is no good.

So I came across these aluminium stock pots, https://bv-cookware.myshopify.com/co...=3640166383643
    and was wondering if anyone has any experience using them?
    I'm eyeing the 50litre as its a little narrower and higher as the other pots and I'm planning to put a tap in it.
    I know the dimensions aren't probably ideal but at R500 can I really go that wrong?

A friend of mine used one of these for a couple years. It pitted badly which always concerned me. Aluminium is not a good material for brewing. For more info check out John Palmers How To Brew, available for free online. Remember with these pots you will need a gas burner and connections. Unless you already have a pretty big burner available you will need to allow for those costs as well.

The Logik 50l urn is really your best option, and quite often comes on sale at Game stores, so keep an eye out.

Comment

+1 what Rob said.

I used to use a pot that looked pretty similar but I cant remember the exact size. On my electric stove top it did struggle to get a vigorous boil, although with the wide mouth it still evaporated off a lot. One plus is if it fits in your oven that great for holding temps through a mash!

At times I have seen that 50L Logik urn at Game going down to R900. Definately a good option and good bargain if you dont miss it.

Or you can use a R200 boilbucket...
      Langchop
      Last edited by Langchop; 11 March 2019, 12:09. Reason: Oh, and welcome to the forum
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, all really helpful so far.
        Def first prize would be that stainless steel urn from Game, its the right size & shape, right material etc etc. and I believe in buy once cry once.

BUT! the plastic boiler thing sounds like a great interim plan, Mr Chop, how do you control the temps on these though?

Comment

I literally did exactly what you are planning.
          I have that exact pot. Bought a burner etc.
          Conclusion. Just buy the urn man!

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
            I literally did exactly what you are planning.
            I have that exact pot. Bought a burner etc.
            Conclusion. Just buy the urn man!

I kind of agree, if you are confident its something you will enjoy for a long time.

I kind of went:

1. small pot/ small batches
            2. bigger pot/ bigger batches
            3. urn
            4. boilbuckets

[So i got bigger and bigger and then just took a step back to simpler-though I still make 20ish litre batches]

On the boilbucket:
            I initially used an STC controller to control the element, but the element is too powerful for this, and I got heat spikes. I then just wrapped a duvet around the bucket for the mash, which typically only lost about 2 or 3 deg over an hour. I then got a 'SCR' voltage regulator which stays on at about 30% power throughout the mash, and maintains temp pretty well. Bottom line, just insulting it well will work. For the boil you just whack it full on power (ie. no controller)
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have some experience with plastics. There are very few plastics that can survive long term exposure to boiling temps. And none that I can think of that will cost only R200 for a bucket with an element.
              Maybe PVC short term but you have the chlorine issue.
              Polyprop could also do it but I would be weary of a sustained boil
              What are these buckets made of and how many batches have you done?

jannieverjaar
              Last edited by jannieverjaar; 11 March 2019, 14:23.

Comment

Yea. I would never buy just any bucket and fit an element. More out of concern about leaching chemicals than degrading plastic for me. The one I use is a Pineware 20/25L boilbucket/ urn, but just done 5 brews in it so far (I mash + boil + ferment in it so cant 'overlap' batches). Its designed to boil water, so I would like to believe the clever guys have complied with due diligence and minimum safety standards. Not sure the type, but I will check tonight if I can see a ID code on it.

One day I might upgrade to a 50L urn, but for now I like the manageability of the lightweight plastic
                Langchop
                Last edited by Langchop; 11 March 2019, 14:34.
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Another option is old 50L SAB kegs converted to mash and/or boil kettle. Must admit not always easy to come by.
                  Got myself 2 when I started all grain. I use gas, not a fan of using eltricity, due to unexpected power failures.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                    I kind of agree, if you are confident its something you will enjoy for a long time.

I kind of went:

1. small pot/ small batches
                    2. bigger pot/ bigger batches
                    3. urn
                    4. boilbuckets

[So i got bigger and bigger and then just took a step back to simpler-though I still make 20ish litre batches]

On the boilbucket:
                    I initially used an STC controller to control the element, but the element is too powerful for this, and I got heat spikes. I then just wrapped a duvet around the bucket for the mash, which typically only lost about 2 or 3 deg over an hour. I then got a 'SCR' voltage regulator which stays on at about 30% power throughout the mash, and maintains temp pretty well. Bottom line, just insulting it well will work. For the boil you just whack it full on power (ie. no controller)
                    Obviously a typo or predictive text error but I did have a chuckle at imagining Mr Chop swearing at his boil bucket and calling it a bloody useless thing in order to keep grains at mash temp......

Comment

At chop. I use the pineware bucket to heat my sparge water. Works fairly well

Comment

Originally posted by Simple View Post
                        Obviously a typo or predictive text error but I did have a chuckle at imagining Mr Chop swearing at his boil bucket and calling it a bloody useless thing in order to keep grains at mash temp......
                        Ha ha... oops or I am a weirdo and I have just let out my alternative brewing secrets

PS. I do seem to spend my life going back and correcting my posts.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I've done about 25 BIAB batches in an aluminium pot PRECISELY like that. No pitting, no funny flavours.

But you do need a decent gas ring.

And don't bother with a tap, just get a huge funnel and a huge plastic basin.

The funnel is for pitching the cool wort into your fermenter.
                          The basin is your ice bath.

We would get the wort to pitching temp by stirring the pot inside the iced basin, add hydrated yeast to the pot, stir VIGOROUSLY with a whisk until frothy, then pitch into the fermenter. Worked for us. Did lots of small batches like that.

Yes, you need some muscle to lift and tilt 20L+ of wort. Put your big boy panties on.

Comment

Mmm lots of info to think through in this thread so far.
                            At this stage of the battle I think cheap & cheerful is the way to go, I would like to get proper kit but that can wait (already month 3 of this year and no beer brewed!)
                            I checked out Pinewares site but they only list the element as stainless steel, no mention of the plastic.

Also came across a thread where someone mentioned gallon brewing and a link, very intriguing.
                            If I could get a smaller batch out every other week as opposed to every other month now, I would be a very happy camper, so reading the link together with all the advice in here.

Lastly, do I tell the bucket off first then don the ladies undergarments or is it the other way around? Brewing is way more complicated than I remember

Comment

50L urn + Massive grain bag =Sorted. IMHO.
                              "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

Working...
                              X