American blonde BIAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American blonde BIAB

Ok so today I brew my second all grain using Groen spooks recipe with some tweaks. I'm not as big of a hop head as he is.
    Had some load shedding issues but I'm ready to brew.
    The pic attached is the plan and my goal today is to get as close as possible with my kit to executing that plan flawlessly.
    In short I need to establish what me and my system are capable of.
    I'll update you after pitching

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Nice one

PS: Is that a concrete floor? ... Just be careful if it is ... I've heard rumours that the downward heat produced by those type of burners, could make the concrete explode

I think I posted pics here years ago, but dont ask me where
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Those are large tiles. But I don't know if their clay or cement based. Hopefully the former.

Setup and cleanup is still a big pain.

I also underestimated the trub loss in the kettle. 2.2l must be coz I don't chill.

Undershot my gravity significantly. I think I killed some of the enzymes upfront.
      Last time I brewed outside and it was a constant battle to keep temps up. So today I brewed in the lapa. And decided to preheat the water to 73 not 71. That was way to hot and caused my wort to sit at 71c for the first 10min of the steep.
      Og of recipe 1050
      Measured 1042

Only did a 30min boil.
      It almost felt rushed getting the hops and finnings. But I much prefer it to the 60min boil. Huge saving on the LPG. I didn't measure gas cost but the grain, hops and finnings for this recipe were R240 and that using Best malt not SAB. That's R5.5 per hlaf liter its cheaper then buying a bottle of water and if I didn't screw up to bad this should be a great beer.

Estimated alc of 4.2% at this point which is actually great for me.

Now we wait. Beer is still at 40C. Will pitch either tonight or tomorrow morning

Cheers
      Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

I'm here to learn so please help me out if you think I'm missing something

Comment

If you measured OG at 40c,then you're sitting on 1.048 hydrometer temp adjusted. Good one!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you were safe wrt enzymes at that temp. Worst case it will be slightly fuller bodied than planned. I am sure it will be good.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I really hope your both right. I tried cooling the wort before measuring but my only temp probe is the one on the stc1000 and with all the load shedding at that point I was flying blind. I'll check again tomorrow.

Comment

Btw Spook good call on the Nelson. What a hop! Smells great. I also got to taste a Nelson Amarillo saison when I was picking up my supplies for this blond. Great beer and great hop combo the flavors are really bright!

Comment

Bubbles!
                So far so good. Pitched after sundown yesterday. This morning at 7 there they are. Nice and vigorous fermentation and the smell is amazing.

Comment

71 deg C is fine for a full bodied blonde............

If you prefer skinny blondes, rather do 64 degrees next time.

Comment

And one of our best investments EVER was an auto temp correction refractometer.

Hydrometers are for cave men.

Comment

Call me a troglodyte, but I like the brewers tax generated from my old fashioned hydrometer. I'll upgrade out of my cave when my tilt hydrometer arrives, until then...caveman drink sample, I'll skip the refractometer thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Give me a sec.... let me just refer to my dictionary to see what a troglodyte is

Ok... now I have always found it odd that the typical homebrewer skimps everywhere and does it himself if he thinks he can do it more cost effectively (yes i'm guilty) ...
                        You have to explain to me.... why spend so much on something like the tilt where the density curve per time is really not thaaaaat relevant? Hell sometimes I dont even bother measuring FG cos I know it cant be more than X% alcohol from the OG

A hydrometer is still always my final go-to after doing some 'indicative' readings on the refractometer.
                        Langchop
                        Last edited by Langchop; 17 March 2019, 22:27.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Let's just say my brewing rate is still not exceeding my equipment acquisition rate so for now I'll skip the refractometer. But I have to say the stc 1000 is a cool tool to have.

I just need to drink more beer!

Comment

What was the volume going into the fermenter? Did you factor in the 30min boil instead of 60min?

Don't think the 71C mash will have denatured the enzymes to such an extent.

If it is indeed 23L that has gone into the fermenter you will be able to calculate your setup "efficiency" and adjust the recipe accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                              71 deg C is fine for a full bodied blonde............

If you prefer skinny blondes, rather do 64 degrees next time.
                              You could not have said it better Jakes
                              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Working...
                              X