• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love being a caveman
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
      I love being a caveman
      everybody east of Pretoria are cavemen..........

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
        everybody east of Pretoria are cavemen..........
        I tend to think that everyone on the rim of the toilet bowl that is hartebeespoortdamn squeals the epitome of cavemen

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          I tend to think that everyone on the rim of the toilet bowl that is hartebeespoortdamn squeals the epitome of cavemen
          True

I'm not on the rim or in the toilet bowl..........you could say I dribbled off the seat

Comment

Hahahaha, to be fair, I've only been there a few times but man it was smelly ,it was some time ago... Something with the water plants, can't remember

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
            groenspookasem
            Banned
            Last edited by groenspookasem; 20 March 2019, 17:09.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
              Hahahaha, to be fair, I've only been there a few times but man it was smelly ,it was some time ago... Something with the water plants, can't remember
              confluence of 3 rivers, all carrying plenty human feces...........

Comment

So today was bottling day. FG came out at a MUCH lower then expected 1006. So ended up with a 4.7%. Assuming the OG was measured at 25 but all I know is it was somewhere between 40 and 25.

Once you get a look at these pics you will understand. I'm NEVER brewing with this yeast again. It clumped but didn't flock. I was sure I and an infected beer when I looked down into the fermenter after bottling. And all my bottles have floaters in them.
                Another thing. The krusen (most likely misspelled that) did not dissolve. If you look at the pic you can even se some of it left after bottling. Fg was stable since Wednesday

Tasted clear of infection though.
                These hops though! Really strong aroma and taste but more grassy then I hoped. Not to bitter so that's good. I'll give it time to settle and bottle condition. Will update you in 2 weeks.

Cheers
                Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

I have full faith that is going to turn out just fine.

Must admit tho, very interesting krausen formation. For some reason I also once had a very durable and leathery krausen that remained 'bonded' on the top. I had to actually 'tear' it open when adding gelatine. I suspect certain combinations of yeast/hops/grain types do just sometimes give different krausen characteristics? Beer turned out just fine tho.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I have high hopes for this ale. Maybe you're right and its related to all the ingredients not just the yeast. I tried catching it in this pic, there was a solid yeast bed, then a clumpy mess above it, with clumps floating in suspension and some hanging on to the liquid level. Ended up with close to 3l trub loss in the fermenter

So for a 20l bottling volume I've lost 5.5l in trub loss. I need to get better hot side straining

Comment

I get the same lasting krausen with K97. Cold crash helps a lot to drop the krausen and solidify the trub.

Im sure its a very good beer, keep us posted

(If you rinse the yeast for re-use you can select the bottom more floculant cells to keep for future use by discarding the top layer in the prosess)

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
                      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Good to hear that it doesn't seem to be me screwing up. The bottles looks to have cleared up nicely. No more floaters. I just have to learn patience

Comment

So it's not clear but good head, can't say that I care for the smell. Closest I can say to fermented fruit. But the taste is not half bad. Crisp for an ale. Easy drinking. One could say quaffable

Comment

I don't care for clarity, as long as it tastes good
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

That is clear enough for homebrew. The fruity esters are from the hot fermentaton.

It will clear up so watch out for sedimentation in the bottle when you pour.

Comment

So I beat SAB on flavor and price I guess I can lose on clarity. I setup a tasting session with another brewer in my area for this week. He brewed this exact beer in his grainfather so I'm excited to compare and see where I can improve

Comment

Working...
                                X