No announcement yet.

First brew help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more you open the fermentor, the higher your chances of infection. Patience is key. The alternative is dumping everything down the drain. Your SG equals a 4.8% abv right now. I'd leave it for 10 days from pitching and then check. A 1.017 would be 5. 5 abv, but as was said before the yeast needs to clean up too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    groenspookasem
    Banned
    Last edited by groenspookasem; 10 April 2019, 19:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques View Post
      One of the brewing programs predicted a FG of 1017.
      Man, if only yeast was programmable... :P

There are a million variables in making a beer. Never make the mistake of thinking a brewing program and with certainty predict what a beer will do. Hell the other day my younger bro was working in SAB in Krugersdorp, and they had a batch of Black Label in there, something like 100,000 litres. They overshot the ABV and it ended up at something like 6.9%, and they had to toss the batch. It happens

Comment

I think the problem with this program is that it sees lactose as a fermentable.

Comment

In the past before going all grain I had issues with the yeast supplied in the kit. Stuck at aroung 1.020 - 1.025. Started bying my own yeast and did not have the problerm again.
          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

And it won't break the bank. Good I idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques View Post
              I think the problem with this program is that it sees lactose as a fermentable.
              What software?

That could be it yes ... Even in Beersmith you have to change the setting ....
              Screenshot_7.jpg
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Brewtarget I think. Trying out some free stuff before I commit money.

Comment

Give https://www.brewersfriend.com/ a shot.
                  "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

Grainfathers recipe builder is free, registration only, so is the app. I used it when I had the v1 controller, so no integration.
                    Brew.grainfather.com
                    You can also add your own equipment, don't need the GF

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Comment

Had a quick tester before I bottled my second batch, purely to see if carbonation was correct.IMG_20190430_180541.jpg

Taste is okay, but it must still wait till the 14th of May.
                        Carbonation not too much.

Comment

Remember it's a stout. Time makes it better. If these are "meh", let them sit for 6 months and try them again. Trust me on this one

Comment

Ja, I know, but it's difficult to wait.
                            I'll save a few for a longer period.

Comment

Working...
                            X