First brew help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First brew help please.

Hi. This is my first post and also my first Brew.

I busy with a Coopers stout.
    I added 1kg DME
    500g Brown sugar
    250g Muscovado
    And the kit yeast.

Don't ask why, I just followed my gut.

OG was 1059.

I had some heavy foaming through the airlock so I ran a pipe into a container with water.
    The airlock is back and bubbling has went down a lot.

The colour has improved, it was rather light brown earlier.

It is fermenting at 18-22°C.

I'm now at day 5 and the gravity is stuck at 1021-1022 for 2 days now.

There is a little carbonation in the stout.

What now? More yeast or do I leave it for another week?

You also post on 4x4Community? Anyway, give it time. Leave it in the fermenter for 2~3 weeks, and let it do it's thing. Try to keep the temperatures stable, but be patient. What else did you put in the beer, anything at all?

Comment

Not a lot of yeast nutrients with the kind/amount of sugars, do you have a sulphur smell coming from it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        You also post on 4x4Community? Anyway, give it time. Leave it in the fermenter for 2~3 weeks, and let it do it's thing. Try to keep the temperatures stable, but be patient. What else did you put in the beer, anything at all?
        Hi. So you're here too! Ja, I try to get as much information as possible.
        Always willing to learn.
        Nothing else, just the list in OP.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          Not a lot of yeast nutrients with the kind/amount of sugars, do you have a sulphur smell coming from it?

No sulphur smell, but my daughter was eating some chew sweets and the smell seemed familiar.
          Maybe the Muscovado?

Comment

I'm not familiar with kits, what kind of yeast did it have? Perhaps it only slowed down a bit, leave it closed up for another week and check your gravity then.

Comment

My reason for asking is on 4x4Community you mentioned 250g Lactose added as well, which you didn't mention here. That may contribute to a higher FG, so make sure what you've added and let us know? It'll help us pinpoint the potential problem sooner, although after just 5 days with the cold we've been having it doesn't really bother me. I stick to my answer - leave it in there for 2~3 weeks before you start measuring

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques View Post
                No sulphur smell, but my daughter was eating some chew sweets and the smell seemed familiar.
                Maybe the Muscovado?
                Welcome Jacques. Maybe your daughter 'helped dad brew' and added some chew sweets?
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  My reason for asking is on 4x4Community you mentioned 250g Lactose added as well, which you didn't mention here. That may contribute to a higher FG, so make sure what you've added and let us know? It'll help us pinpoint the potential problem sooner, although after just 5 days with the cold we've been having it doesn't really bother me. I stick to my answer - leave it in there for 2~3 weeks before you start measuring
                  Sorry. You are right. I did add Lactose but it was 500g.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    I'm not familiar with kits, what kind of yeast did it have? Perhaps it only slowed down a bit, leave it closed up for another week and check your gravity then.

According to the website it's a Australian ale yeast.15g.

Comment

Welcome

A Coopers kit fermented for 5 days is usually done, but like others have said, let it sit a while longer. I personally would give it a light stir with a sanitized spoon, close it up and only check it again in another 5 days.

LOL @Toxxyc ... nice to see we taught you well to leave that fermenter alone
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques View Post
                        Sorry. You are right. I did add Lactose but it was 500g.
                        That could easily give you a FG of that high

Comment

Thanks for all the help.
                          I did give the fermenter a swirl yesterday. Is it still necessary for the stir?

One of the brewing programs predicted a FG of 1017.
                          If I don't have to do anything further I'll check up on it on Sunday.

Comment

Swirl should be ok ... just forget about it now till about Sunday ... the yeast needs time to cleanup after fermentation is done.

Comment

Thanks. I will be patient.

Comment

Working...
                              X