Flaked Wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaked Wheat

Anyone know where I can get flaked wheat. This is for a witbier I want to brew.
    Currently Brewcraft and Brewmart do not have any and they are not sure when they will get.
    BevPlus does not seem to sell it.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Eish... that's sad news. I also don't see on the beerlab website. Recently had the same issue and ended up dreaming a recipe of wheat malt and oats and a portion of pale malt. Not the same thing I know just used what I had on hand. Will call it a Belgian Speciality Ale rather than a Witbier... Think the oats will help a bit with the soft mouthfeel you are looking for in that beer.

Comment

Fermenting half of the batch with WLP500, which will make it more of a belgian ale and the second half I'm fermenting with WitSmith from liquid culture, which I've not yet used so pretty interested in seeing the results.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
        Eish... that's sad news. I also don't see on the beerlab website. Recently had the same issue and ended up dreaming a recipe of wheat malt and oats and a portion of pale malt. Not the same thing I know just used what I had on hand. Will call it a Belgian Speciality Ale rather than a Witbier... Think the oats will help a bit with the soft mouthfeel you are looking for in that beer.
        Thanks, if I cannot get soon will have to go with something similar to what you did.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
          Thanks, if I cannot get soon will have to go with something similar to what you did.
          Yeah, I think going this route, you should get close to the same mouthfeel. You might have a bit more colour but then if you use the correct yeast, it would still be a nice beer. Probably best not to enter it into a comp but that's ok. Just brew it, I'd say.

Comment

I see the Aussie homebrewers talks about Bourghul (Bulgur) as an substitute ... available from health stores apparently??

Not sure if THIS is the same stuff ?
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Weetbix, guys, Weetbix. Rolled and flaked wheat.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                Weetbix, guys, Weetbix. Rolled and flaked wheat.
                Thanks a million. You just made my day.

Just checked the wheatbix box
                97% whole grain wheat, yes which is rolled / flaked wheat.
                3% sugar, salt and malted barley extract.

I do not think a small amount of salt will be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                  Thanks a million. You just made my day.

Just checked the wheatbix box
                  97% whole grain wheat, yes which is rolled / flaked wheat.
                  3% sugar, salt and malted barley extract.

I do not think a small amount of salt will be an issue.
                  Wow, look forward to hearing the result of this beer!

Comment

Wife bought me a couple of kilos of Weet-bix that I plan to use in witbier. When checking the ingredients again it mentions electrolytic iron (which was not part of the ingredients on the almost empty box we still have).
                    They quote about 60mg of iron per 100g which equates to 1.2 grams for 2 kilos.
                    Researched online, it is recommended not to have more than 1 mg per litre in beer.
                    So back to square one, will have to think of something else.

Comment

Sorry chaps made a mistake on previous post.
                      Weetbix has 6.8mg per 100g of iron, which gives 132mg for 2 kilos, still above the recommended.
                      Has anyone brewed with weetbix ???

Comment

The closest I'll get to brewing with breakfast cereal is rolled oats, and even then I'll go for malted oats. On another group I saw people brew with fruit loops and frosted flakes, even spaghetti... Count me out, perhaps the reinheitsgebot is too in'grain'ed? Perhaps I'm being conservative , but possibly wasting time and money on malt substitutes isn't wort the potential reward?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          The closest I'll get to brewing with breakfast cereal is rolled oats, and even then I'll go for malted oats. On another group I saw people brew with fruit loops and frosted flakes, even spaghetti... Count me out, perhaps the reinheitsgebot is too in'grain'ed? Perhaps I'm being conservative , but possibly wasting time and money on malt substitutes isn't wort the potential reward?

I know the guys who did the spaghetti, think that is Anthony and Nick. And they know their stuff.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking to do a minestrone soup skip fermentation and just add castle to it. Or maybe a breyani and Hansa. Slot it through the food processor and add some off the shelf beer... Good to go.

Comment

I think the point is to just try new things. Today's conservative is yesterdays extreme.

Picture this in days long before us: "Why would you mess around with wheat? I will stick with Barley, thank you!" ; "you want to do WHAT with a bag!?!?"
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                              X