Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Flaked Wheat

  1. #1

    Flaked Wheat


    Anyone know where I can get flaked wheat. This is for a witbier I want to brew.
    Currently Brewcraft and Brewmart do not have any and they are not sure when they will get.
    BevPlus does not seem to sell it.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

  2. #2
    Eish... that's sad news. I also don't see on the beerlab website. Recently had the same issue and ended up dreaming a recipe of wheat malt and oats and a portion of pale malt. Not the same thing I know just used what I had on hand. Will call it a Belgian Speciality Ale rather than a Witbier... Think the oats will help a bit with the soft mouthfeel you are looking for in that beer.

  3. #3
    Fermenting half of the batch with WLP500, which will make it more of a belgian ale and the second half I'm fermenting with WitSmith from liquid culture, which I've not yet used so pretty interested in seeing the results.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Brew View Post
    Eish... that's sad news. I also don't see on the beerlab website. Recently had the same issue and ended up dreaming a recipe of wheat malt and oats and a portion of pale malt. Not the same thing I know just used what I had on hand. Will call it a Belgian Speciality Ale rather than a Witbier... Think the oats will help a bit with the soft mouthfeel you are looking for in that beer.
    Thanks, if I cannot get soon will have to go with something similar to what you did.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Thanks, if I cannot get soon will have to go with something similar to what you did.
    Yeah, I think going this route, you should get close to the same mouthfeel. You might have a bit more colour but then if you use the correct yeast, it would still be a nice beer. Probably best not to enter it into a comp but that's ok. Just brew it, I'd say.

  6. #6
    Senior Member JIGSAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,423
    I see the Aussie homebrewers talks about Bourghul (Bulgur) as an substitute ... available from health stores apparently??

    Not sure if THIS is the same stuff ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hartbeespoort/De Wildt
    Posts
    1,359
    Weetbix, guys, Weetbix. Rolled and flaked wheat.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    Weetbix, guys, Weetbix. Rolled and flaked wheat.
    Thanks a million. You just made my day.

    Just checked the wheatbix box
    97% whole grain wheat, yes which is rolled / flaked wheat.
    3% sugar, salt and malted barley extract.

    I do not think a small amount of salt will be an issue.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Thanks a million. You just made my day.

    Just checked the wheatbix box
    97% whole grain wheat, yes which is rolled / flaked wheat.
    3% sugar, salt and malted barley extract.

    I do not think a small amount of salt will be an issue.
    Wow, look forward to hearing the result of this beer!

  10. #10

    Wife bought me a couple of kilos of Weet-bix that I plan to use in witbier. When checking the ingredients again it mentions electrolytic iron (which was not part of the ingredients on the almost empty box we still have).
    They quote about 60mg of iron per 100g which equates to 1.2 grams for 2 kilos.
    Researched online, it is recommended not to have more than 1 mg per litre in beer.
    So back to square one, will have to think of something else.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •