No announcement yet.

Flaked Wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Yes, I am conservative. I can't see the reason and also don't care, why you would want to ferment processed wheat and tomatoes or processed anything for that matter. Yes the sugars will convert, but how good can a fermented tomato be? Your coco pops will also ferment, do you enjoy the artificial chocolate flavor that much?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Yes, I am conservative. I can't see the reason and also don't care, why you would want to ferment processed wheat and tomatoes or processed anything for that matter. Yes the sugars will convert, but how good can a fermented tomato be? Your coco pops will also ferment, do you enjoy the artificial chocolate flavor that much?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One guy won the last Summer Beer Festival competition using packets of red velvet cake mix............I kid you not.

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
        I think the point is to just try new things. Today's conservative is yesterdays extreme.

Picture this in days long before us: "Why would you mess around with wheat? I will stick with Barley, thank you!" ; "you want to do WHAT with a bag!?!?"
        Yes, you can't grow as a brewer without doing some wacky stuff. The Americans are the leaders in brewing for this reason.

We're too stuck to our lager laager mentatlity.........SAB has brainwashed us.

Comment

Sure some people are feeble minded enough to be brainwashed, if your path to growth is to do 'wacky' stuff then have at it, that's how children grow up isn't it? Learn from mistakes and all that.

Comment

Sure some people are feeble minded enough to be brainwashed, if your path to growth is to do 'wacky' stuff then have at it, that's how children grow up isn't it? Learn from mistakes and all that.
            each to their own, buddy, I don't judge what people brew

Comment

I have my biases, as do you, imo judging is reserved to people that care enough to be 'right'. Unlike myself, I don't care enough how you or anyone brews, there's a thought process behind how you get to a recipe after all. Like I said before, I don't understand the reasoning behind certain experiments, it doesn't make it less valid to the experimentors. It is after all an experiment.

I do enjoy sharing my knowledge that could be useful or helpful to others though, but that's still far removed from judging.

The flaked wheat thread is a good example, sure weetbix will work, but is proven to have a high iron count and should likely not be used. That is great information.

Comment

I think it's pretty harsh to call someone "feeble minded" if they want to try new things. If we didn't try new things we'd still be living in a cave and eating lizards off rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  I think it's pretty harsh to call someone "feeble minded" if they want to try new things. If we didn't try new things we'd still be living in a cave and eating lizards off rocks.
                  Precisely. And i urge you to try the spaghetti beer, it is quite good

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a judge and i don't much like your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                      I was calling the 'people brainwashed' as per jakelouw feeble minded :-) not the spaghetti experimentors

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                        I'm a judge and i don't much like your comment.

Now the red velvet makes sense

Comment

I was calling the 'people brainwashed' as per jakelouw feeble minded :-) not the spaghetti experimentors

Still. Reinheidsgebot has it's place, definitely. I don't think we'd have sat with the quality lagers we have today had it not been with that. But looking past that - how far do you think we'd have gotten had be stuck with that? No milk stouts. No sours. No fruit beers. No this, no that. I'm not just attacking you, although it might look like it, but I'm just saying - people might be called "brainwashed" or "feeble minded". True. I'm sure people looked funny at Einstein or the Wright Brothers as well.

Be different. Different wins competitions. You're not going to win many competitions with your home rendition of Windhoek Lager fermented badly in a warm chamber. Not when some oke is brewing with red velvet stuff and using the right yeasts doing what he can with what he has. The other day I made a stout. I added lactose, coffee and cocoa. I have to be honest with you, it was the best stout I ever tasted. I gave some to a friend as well who works at a brewery and his reaction was also "wow". I'm still awaiting feedback on the last one I gave to a fellow member, but that stout would have been a plain irish dry stout had I not...experimented.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                            Sorry chaps made a mistake on previous post.
                            Weetbix has 6.8mg per 100g of iron, which gives 132mg for 2 kilos, still above the recommended.
                            Has anyone brewed with weetbix ???
                            I have not brewed with weet bix and I understand your concern to use something else when we are not sure if the brewing and fermentation process would cope with possible added sugars, minerals, vitamins and preservatives that are associated with these ingredients that we occasionally consider to use as alternatives.

I'm far from any brewing stores and order everything on line and do sometimes run out on some grains and then had to either make a plan or wait until I could order the grains.

So in the past when I could not find wheat I have used Fatis Monis Pasta to 10 % in a Blonde and regularly brew lagers with P&P no name brand Corn Flakes to 15 % without any problems, hell I currently have a beer in the cube that I brewed with 15% plain old Jungle Oats.

Don't worry too much about it unless you are planning to use 50% weetbix I would rather try a small test batch before I would scale it up.

Just do it

On another group I saw people brew with fruit loops and frosted flakes, even spaghetti... Count me out, perhaps the reinheitsgebot is too in'grain'ed? Perhaps I'm being conservative , but possibly wasting time and money on malt substitutes isn't wort the potential reward?

I agree with you, I personally wont brew with all those sugar and colorant enriched breakfast cereals and fruit loops and stuff. I try to eat fairly healthy so my outlook is if I'm not prepared to eat it I'm not prepared to put it in my beer.
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 20 June 2019, 11:31.
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I've come to the realization that I'm not bored with all grain to add substitutes or adjuncts to my brews. There's too many combos to keep me entertained. I have no desire to add artificial anything to my beer, I'm cognizant of what I consume and tend to avoid artificial products in general.

A brewery can't brainwash people, lack of choice led to acceptance. Feeble minded people can be swayed in any direction, but that's a fact in general.

Experimentation is great, who knows what the next "big thing" will be.

Comment

Now the red velvet makes sense

I have no idea how to make a red velvet cake, but I know some chefs use beetroot to get the color.
                                Now that has me thinking. Has anyone ever tried using beetroot in beer? I think it might just be a bit too ''earthy"?
                                Please feel free to tear me apart for even considering such a thought. I am just wondering.

Comment

Working...
                                X