No announcement yet.

Flaked Wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red in all grain would be Red-X, you can also use some CaraAmber/Aroma even roasted barley, although I'd be careful with darker malts if your base is light. I once attempted to color a pale ale with black malt - disgusting I've since binned the black malt. No thoughts on the beetroot juice sorry

Comment

Keep in mind Beetroot sugar is Sucrose - in other words, table sugar. Can just as well get red food colouring and add brown sugar to the brew, IMO.

Comment

Yip, one of the previous sales guys at Beerlab (as a side note: he now works for one of the breweries in Woodstock I think) made an IPA with beetroot ... AFAIK they got the colour from it but not much of a detectable taste.
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I think it would probably be best to stick to beetroot on my plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Stander View Post
            Has anyone ever tried using beetroot in beer? I think it might just be a bit too ''earthy"?
            Please feel free to tear me apart for even considering such a thought. I am just wondering.
            I've tasted a very acceptable Beetroot Saison.........Atron knows who did that one.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
              I've tasted a very acceptable Beetroot Saison.........Atron knows who did that one.
              I know I said that I would bin the idea, but the gears in my head are spinning. Interestingly enough, I also had a saison in mind.
              Oh the joys of home brewing. Maybe a tiny 5l test batch would be in order.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                Red in all grain would be Red-X, you can also use some CaraAmber/Aroma even roasted barley, although I'd be careful with darker malts if your base is light. I once attempted to color a pale ale with black malt - disgusting I've since binned the black malt. No thoughts on the beetroot juice sorry
                For colour adjustment, I'd go for a Caraffa grain. Always have Caraffa II in my brewery. It's a dehusked roasted grain so you don't get any flavour from it when used in small quantities. My pale ale only gets 40g in a 40l Batch which I need for colour due to lack of caramel malts. Can go higher than that if required.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                  For colour adjustment, I'd go for a Caraffa grain. Always have Caraffa II in my brewery. It's a dehusked roasted grain so you don't get any flavour from it when used in small quantities. My pale ale only gets 40g in a 40l Batch which I need for colour due to lack of caramel malts. Can go higher than that if required.
                  Caraffa II is usually used when brewing a dark lager, when they want to get plenty of colour but keep roastiness low.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Stander View Post
                    I know I said that I would bin the idea, but the gears in my head are spinning. Interestingly enough, I also had a saison in mind.
                    Oh the joys of home brewing. Maybe a tiny 5l test batch would be in order.
                    well, the brewer has been awarded a stand at the Gin and Craft Beer festival to showcase this beer......

Comment

Ok, so I will need to wait to brew the wit. Closest LHBS is 120km.
                      The closest I can find to flaked wheat is weet-bix lite.
                      10mg sodium (which is low enough) in 100g vs 354 mg in the normal weet-bix.
                      However the iron is still to high 6.8mg in 100g, equated to 136mg for 2kg.
                      Max recommended in beer is 1mg per litre.
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                      X