Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creamy stout

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I'm currently priming at about 3g brown sugar per 750ml.

Is that about right?
    Brown sugar gives taste. I would prime with dextrose rather, or even dark DME. 3g per 750ml is a bit on the low side, but it can work. I would push that to 4g per 750ml when using DME.

Thanks. I don't know much about yeast. Still learning.
    Very well understood. There's an age old saying. Brewers make wort, yeast makes beer. With a good fermentation, you can end up with a pleasurable beer even if the recipe wasn't spot on. It doesn't quite work the other way around.

Do you have any temperature control at the moment? It's a fairly good time of the year to be brewing ales if you don't but there are some simple hacks that will assist.

My "buitekamer" is fairly constant. In the last month and a half it has been running at 18-20C.

I'll give them a call.

Thanks for all the information, I appreciate it.

It's only your 3rd brew, so i'd say run with what you've got (can get)... drop the Dextrose like you said and up the DME ....

Once you know what this recipe gives you as a beer, you can tweak it with the second version

Keep it simple
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

My "buitekamer" is fairly constant. In the last month and a half it has been running at 18-20C.
    Die "buitekamer" behoort te werk. Try to pitch a bit lower than what you want to ferment at. I'd try and get it down to 16 degrees C for pitching. Some brewers might want it a bit warmer but without fermentation fridge, it's probably safer to go for the lower end. If you don't get a heat wave, you will be ok.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Practice makes perfect.

Hey Jacques, Feel free to drop SouthYeasters an email or post anytime. We're always happy to help out a fellow brewer.
    If you find yourself cape town way let us know. We have a couple of members tableview way if you're driving through also.

www.facebook.com/southyeasters
    info@southyeasters.co.za

Thanks. I don't go to CT often but I'll pop in some or other time.