Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (M) Octoberfest

Hi guys.
    How many of you have tried the (M) Octoberfest recipe on the Brülosophy website?
    This was my attempt at it and even though I overshot my OG and ended up with a 5.6% ABV beer, it is a damn decent drop as our friends from across the pond would say.

This was my first sample so pardon the glass.[emoji16]

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Looks decent BUT WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE?

Aroma
    Mouthfeel
    Flavour

Comment

Haha, Jakes I am no expert when it comes to beer tasting but I will give it a try. It's definitely a malt forward beer. I get some burnt caramel/toffee?? on the nose. It is a light bodied beer (I think that is because of the fact that I fermented it at 14°C) The US05 fermented out very clean, which is exactly what I expected when I chose this yeast for the brew. The mouth feel is almost creamy with hardly any lingering bitterness. The same burnt caramel or toffee (I can't decide which it is) lingers on your tongue long after you have swallowed.

In short, it's a damn decent beer.[emoji16]

Comment

Sounds great. Light, creamy body with caramel/toffee. Now I'm thirsty.

I haven't fermented us-05 so low yet. Usually pitch at 14 and then ferment it at 16 as I've read that it sometimes tastes a bit peachy at 14. I might just give it a shot next time I ferment with it.

Beer looks awesome by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
          Sounds great. Light, creamy body with caramel/toffee. Now I'm thirsty.

I haven't fermented us-05 so low yet. Usually pitch at 14 and then ferment it at 16 as I've read that it sometimes tastes a bit peachy at 14. I might just give it a shot next time I ferment with it.

Beer looks awesome by the way.
          Thanks for the compliment. I don't get any peach flavor at all.

Comment

technically fermenting that @ 14 degrees with an ale yeast means you have brewed a Cali Common..........

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
              technically fermenting that @ 14 degrees with an ale yeast means you have brewed a Cali Common..........
              I was under the impression that Cali Commons are brewed with Lager yeast fermented at ale temperatures?

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Stander View Post
                Thanks for the compliment. I don't get any peach flavor at all.

Awesome, will definitely try this soon. Received the liquid version of the US-05 strain from LiquidCulture so keen on trying that out.

Comment

I was under the impression that Cali Commons are brewed with Lager yeast fermented at ale temperatures?

Indeed, Johan Stander, you're correct. A steam beer/cali common is brewed with lager yeast at ale temp (34/70 works a treat). Back in the day these where brewed on the rooftops and the steam escaping from the fermentor paved the way for the name. Nice little story to it if you care to check it out.
                  An ale brewed at lower temp is an ale, if you're bored both S04 and 34/70 has a nice little overlap in ferm temps and makes a mean P'ale'sner

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    Indeed, Johan Stander, you're correct. A steam beer/cali common is brewed with lager yeast at ale temp (34/70 works a treat). Back in the day these where brewed on the rooftops and the steam escaping from the fermentor paved the way for the name. Nice little story to it if you care to check it out.
                    An ale brewed at lower temp is an ale, if you're bored both S04 and 34/70 has a nice little overlap in ferm temps and makes a mean P'ale'sner
                    I've been keen to start experimenting with different yeast strains to see how far you can push it in ether direction.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                      Awesome, will definitely try this soon. Received the liquid version of the US-05 strain from LiquidCulture so keen on trying that out.
                      That sounds interesting. Please let me know how it goes.

Comment

yes you are right but what he brewed then wasn't an Oktoberfest if he used an ale yeast

Comment

yes you are right but what he brewed then wasn't an Oktoberfest if he used an ale yeast
                          That's why it's called a mocktoberfest

Comment

That's why it's called a mocktoberfest
                            And I was too slow to figure that out, sorry.

Comment

And I was too slow to figure that out, sorry.
                              All good.

Comment

Working...
                              X