Thread: How do all !

How do all !

Hi All ,
    I`m a UK Brewer & Brewing Historian who also blogs about old beers and brewing at Make Mine A Magee`s at : oldbeersandbrewing.blogspot.com , Sadly the only S. A related post .. at the minute ! , is about the former Head Brewer of Ohlson`s Cape Breweries , called " From Scotland To South Africa " , it`s about Thomas Patterson who became H.B sometime between 1916 and 1924 i beleive .

I`d love to be able to feature some historic South African beer recipies on the blog ; are there any Old Beers and Brewing enthusiasts over in S .A ? .
    I`ve been sadly unable to locate any old brewing production records from South Africa , and wondered if any members have any , or know of any archives with them in ? ; Maybe a relative used to work at one and kept a notebook or other things when the brewery closed ; I`d love to hear from you if you have any of this sort of thing , or worked in any old breweries in S.A .
    Brewing records can be in large pre printed with columns for malt & hops , sugar & yeast etc , or they can be a brewer`s notebook ( Usually a Pocket Size )
    I can be contacted through here via Direct Message , or through the blog page , via the " Say How Do To Edd The Brew " button ..

I hope that some members can help with my research , and look forward to hearing from any fellow old beer enthusiasts !!

Cheers All , and Happy Mashing

Edd The Brew

Good luck.

ZA doesn't have a very long history of independent brewing. SAB basically bought every single independent out during the isolation years, and all of those recipes are now their IP.

It is sad: there were a bunch of ale recipes that have been archived by SAB which will never see the light of day.

But I doubt that they were anything special: the most adventurous would have been stouts and pale ales.

Hi Jakeslouw ,
    Thanks for the reply , Appreciated .
    I`ve contacted S.A Breweries for info , I`m still awaiting a reply , and I know that most of the breweries were eventually bought by S.A.B , With the final conglomeration in the immediate post W W 2 Era .
    If any members know of any public archives or private collections with brewing records , please get in touch ; I`d also be interested in Old beer labels , Point of Sale adverts , Price lists etc .
    Cheers All ,
    Edd The Brew

Hi Eddie,

Ditto what Jakes said.
    It would be nice if you could find some interesting history on those smaller breweries, such as Louis Luyt Breweries, before they got swallowed up. It's all pretty recent 'history' in the greater scheme of things though.

Good luck
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

Hi Lang ,
    Cheers for the welcome and your reply ; I`ve only been able to post a `Family Tale` of a brewer in S.A , Thomas Patterson who was the Head Brewer of Ohlson`s Cape Breweries in the 1920 `s at Newlands ; the info came from Thomas`s grandson in South Africa , and regrettably Thomas`s notebook has been misplaced ( Damnation) , There`s some smashing early exterior shots of the Newlands Brewery in the post , it`s called
    " From Scotland to South Africa Via Australia and New Zealand " .
    Hopefully someone on the forum will know someone or have a relatives notebooks / old records etc .
    I`m looking forward to chatting about old beers and brewing with forum members , are there any Old Beer and Brewing fans on here ?

Cheers All ,

Edd The Brew

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lang ,
    Cheers for the welcome and your reply ; I`ve only been able to post a `Family Tale` of a brewer in S.A , Thomas Patterson who was the Head Brewer of Ohlson`s Cape Breweries in the 1920 `s at Newlands ; the info came from Thomas`s grandson in South Africa , and regrettably Thomas`s notebook has been misplaced ( Damnation) , There`s some smashing early exterior shots of the Newlands Brewery in the post , it`s called
    " From Scotland to South Africa Via Australia and New Zealand " .
    Hopefully someone on the forum will know someone or have a relatives notebooks / old records etc .
    I`m looking forward to chatting about old beers and brewing with forum members , are there any Old Beer and Brewing fans on here ?

Cheers All ,

Edd The Brew

How Do All ,
    Here`s an exclusive recipie for members of Worts and All , not one from this brewery I`ve published before , Nice and Simple 1 Mash Heat , 1 Hr Mash , 1.5 hr Boil .

Dutton`s Of Blackburn ;

Old Ben ( Draught Form ) : Oh Be Joyfull ( Bottled )

Original Grav: 1.062 Racking Grav:1.017 ( C . V ) Draught @ 1.016 Bottle @ 1.015.5
    Final Gravity : 1.013 - 1.013.25
    ABV : 5.5 - 6 % : IBU @ 50

MALT
    ----------
    Chevalier Pale Ale Malt @ 28.5 %
    Mild Ale / Pale Ale Malt @ 6.5 ebc 28.25 %
    Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt @ 43.25 %

MASHING
    ------------
    A Mild Ale Liquor Profile
    Thoroughly warm the mash tun with boiling liquor to 1 - 1.5 " above the plates / filter bed and then mash in at 63.75 c for a one hour mash @ 2.300 L/Kg
    At Taps , gently open the valve on the mash tun and then pour the turbid 1 St Runnings back over the top of the mash until a BRIGHT AND CLEAR / BRILLIANT WORT is consistently flowing , then cast to the copper .

SPARGING
    --------------
    At Taps ( Clear Wort ) + 10 Minutes @ 68.5 c and at a ratio of 4.025 L/Kg for Runnings Gravities as follows : 1 St @ 1.098 - Last Runnings @ 1.008 , then STOP RUN TO OBJ COPPER .

SUGARS
    -----------
    No 1 Invert Sugar 3.5 % - 1.002.25 ( See Liquor Back adjustments)
    No 3 Invert Sugar 3.5 % - 1.002.25 ( " )
    Caramel @ 0.36 g per Barrel Litre

COPPER
    -----------
    A 1.5 Hr Boil ,with the LID OFF : 1 St Hops @ Let Off - 75 , 2 Nd @ Let Off - 20 . At Let Off - 60 , add the No 1 Sugar , then at Let Off - 30 , Liquor Back to 1.066 and add the
    No 3 Sugar then the second Hop Charges . At Let Off - 12 , Liquor Back to 1.060 and add the Copper Finings , then the Caramel 5 minutes later , then at Let Off ( 90 Minutes) , Stand the Copper 1/2 hour before cooling to pitching heat and sending to the Hop Back for a further 1/2 hour stand , then send to the Fermenting Vessel .

HOPS
    ---------
    1 St Charge : 1.060 = Brewer`s Gold 18 IBU , Fuggles 16 IBU
    2 Nd Charge : 1.068 = Goldings 10 IBU , French Fuggles 6 IBU
    Hop Back : ( As a % of the whole of the bittering hops weight )
    Brewer`s Gold 3 % , Goldings 3 %

YEAST , PITCHING AND FERMENTATION :
    Use a YORKSHIRE SQUARE TYPE YEAST , LIVE BARM / ACTIVE STARTER @ 3.6g Per Brl Litre at 15.5 c and rouse @ Pitch + 10 , then GENTLY SKIM the top / rocky top of the 1 st head from the F.V then drop to a second F.V @ 1.055 , Then rouse as follows : @ D + 24 and at every + 12 hours until 1.022 .
    HEATS : Top Heat @ 21.75 c by day 3 , @ Ca 1.033 , COOL GRADUALLY FROM 1.022 <18c
    SKIM @ 1.022 , THEN AT Drop to Settler - 4 hrs .
    Drop to Settler @ 1.017 and cool to 15 c , then allow @ 14.5 - 15 c until at draught racking gravity , once in barrel / container stand @ Rack Temp for 1 week before cellaring @ 12 c for 1 month , then 1 @ 8 c ; after that time , bring up to 12 c and add barrel finings and roll well , Stillage @ 12 c for 1 week , tap & vent and condintion for 48 hrs before quality control ( Leave off cap / release pressure and gently cover to prevent ingress by foreign bodies ) .
    BOTTLING :
    -------------
    Bottle as above @ 15 c and as follows Do not add finings to the barrel , but ensure the barrel / bucket is undisturbed for 1 wk min before bottling ) , but bottle at 1.015.5 - 1.015.25 and stand for 1 week @ 13.5 - 14 c before cellaring @ 12 c for 1 month , then 2 - 3 @ 8 c .

Cheers All , and Happy Mashing ;

Edd The Brew

Blog Entries
    Hi Edd

Get in contact with SAB World of Beer (http://www.worldofbeer.co.za/). They have access to the SAB history, and I am sure that you will be able to get a lot of info from them. You can also contact the Newlands Brewery (https://newlandsbrewery.co.za/), as they have a brewing in SA museum - but is is almost completely SAB focused.

It might also help to get hold of ex SAB brewers. You can contact http://www.brewsterscraft.co.za/ and https://www.beardedbrew.co.za

As for brewery info, you can use sites like
    https://craftbru.com/
    https://www.ratebeer.com/breweries/south-africa/0/182/
    https://homebru.net/

Another good source will be http://brewmistress.co.za/

Cheers!
    Last edited by AtronSeige; 19th May 2019 at 10:36. Reason: added a link
    It's not the size of your equipment; it is what you brew with it.

Thirsty days hath September,
    April, June and November;
    All the rest are thirsty too
    Except for him who hath homebrew.

BeerSmith Recipes: http://beersmithrecipes.com/listreci...nseigeRatebeer

Profile: http://www.ratebeer.com/user/190730/

How Do AtronSeige ,
    Thanks for the reply mate , it`s appreciated ; I contacted the S A B World of Beer a few weeks ago , no response as yet , but I`ll keep members updated both here and on the blog on this one .
    As to the other suggestions , I`ll give them a go , cheers for the heads up ,
    Best Regards , and Happy Mashing ,
    Edd