Half grain brew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half grain brew

So I brewed an extract carveze a while ago. It was terrible! Or awful or something similar. BUT I didn't know that when I bought 2 of them. So I need to do something with it. What do you all suggest? Can I use it to make something fuller? I'm worried that the can flavor will come through with the light stuff.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Which kit is it?

I did the Coopers kit back in the day ... was also terrible ... to much of a malt flavour (almost like wort straight from the mash) and hardly any hops detected.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

You made me go check. It's an MJ. But then I checked the date and now I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure I bought it last year. But usually the expiration date only has a month and year in that order. This one has day as well and 19.07.13 [emoji848].
      Who dates year.month.day?
      Maybe I should just bin it and get it over with

Comment

I bought a brew blend nr.15 with it. Checked it as well. Expiration date 2020. Maybe the can does only expire next month

Comment

That is BEST BEFORE not EXPIRY DATE.

My suggestion: do a half an half

Half normal milled malt, mash as normal, then add the can to the boil.

Maybe something like a Marzen or Dark Lager or a Pilsener.

And the Malt Extracts don't usually have any hops added. It's just a wort reduction.

Comment

@jannieverjaar I'll take it off your hands and brew it. I like brewing expired stuff, it sometimes works out OK for a beer to give your fam who doesn't like proper beers.

Comment

Hopefully its YYMMDD nd not DDMMYY !?
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Actually if I had seen your reply before 6am I would have done so. I'm in pta today.

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                  Actually if I had seen your reply before 6am I would have done so. I'm in pta today.

Hah, well if you want to get rid of it, let me know. I'll gladly take it off your hands!

Comment

Made a turn at brew craft. I got 500g Vienna and 200 crystal 20l malts.
                    For some more flavor. Also got sa05 yeast. So I'm set for a blonde.
                    Decided to go for southern passion hops. Still need to decide where to leave the ibu

Comment

20-25 IBU should be fine ?

PS: Is this now to add to the kit or am i missing a previous statement about you brewing a blonde ?
                      JIGSAW
                      Last edited by JIGSAW; 4 June 2019, 13:10.

Comment

This is to add to the kit and convert it to a blond. I saw it in a YouTube video. But it had no weights so this is what I could come up with.

Comment

This is what I came up with. What do you think?
                          Had to use dextrose coz I cant find brew blend 15 in beersmith.
                          And had to use pilsen coz I cant find carveza extract.
                          Think it will be close enough? And more important taste good?

Comment

Looks ok to me ... whats your process going to be?, cause remember there is no need to boil that Cerveza kit. Looks like you aiming for a 30min boil, so I will add the kit + the dextrose the last ±5min

Also remember that Cerveza is more than likely also pre-hopped to about 15 IBU (well I know the Coopers version is to about 15)

EDIT: PS- Why did you opt for an Ale yeast ?
                            JIGSAW
                            Last edited by JIGSAW; 4 June 2019, 19:53. Reason: see post

Comment

Jip I keep to 30min boils. It sounds like there is no need for more then that.
                              My plan is to add the dextrose and kit at 0min I'm also considering a 25g flameout addition of southern passion for a better hop character with little to no additional ibus. I definitely don't have the temp control for a lager and in rustenburg it's still 20 to 26 during the day. The can does say it's got some ibus but I didn't really taste any on the other can

Comment

Working...
                              X