No announcement yet.

Half grain brew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully agree! The sg is the key, but my assumption is that sometime during this week its going to settle. Once this point is reached should I just bottle or let it rest for another week?
    My goal being to do a diacetyl (woohoo Spelling!) Rest but there is a possibility of yeast decay especially due to the low temp.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

My 2c, the yeast runs subdued at lower temperatures, but still does its thing. Tonight I flicked my mandarina amarillo pils to start cold crashing. Almost no airlock activity during the ramp to 19c, but it was under pressure, so all good. I've done this super quick pilsner turnaround a few times and am happy to not even touch the hydrometer to test. Stays within the thresholds too.

Pilsner or lager in 10 days, then cold crash, fine and keg. 34/70.

Ale in 7 days, then cold crash, fine and keg. Kveik.

Anything over these thresholds wastes time, and time is beer!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Time is beer! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
          I don't want autolysis.......
          Relax. That's something that takes months, so unless you're planning on keeping the beer in there until December, don't worry.

Comment

Great. So I'll leave it for next weekend. And measure in between

Comment

So I took an sg sample. It takes about 200ml so I got a good taster. It is still bubbling so it's no fg sample. Bubbles are really really slow though so its pretty close to done. 1.012 hoping it gets down to 1.010. Very cloudy still , hoping this extra week will sort it!

Comment

Its still fermenting. And with our cold snap it wasn't going to improve, so I got a reptile heater from the pet shop and stuck in under the fermenter. It's not like a torch so it's going real slow. I've hooked it up to the stc so it will switch off once it gets to 21C. Hoping it will get there over night. Should probably go slower but waiting 3 weeks for this beer is long enough. I'm thinking I'll bottle mid day Saturday. Hopefully that's long enough for the diacetyl to drive off and fermentation to finally finish

Comment

So I'm sure you might have guessed it but I'm really getting really impatient with this brew. It's been sitting at 20C for only 20H or so but I decided to take a hydrometer reading. It was at 1012 a week ago, today after slowly bubbling the whole week.............................................. ...............................1012!
                  FFS! Really wanted to bottle tomorrow.
                  Thinking the 20C will get it going in the next 2 to 3 days, then gelatin for 3 days then next weekend bottling.

Comment

Eish...times like these you need that stirplate action. #kveik

Comment

Definitely! 3 weeks in primary sucks! At the speed you can ferment and keg carbonate you could have finished drinking this one already

Comment

I don't think the SG is likely to drop any further? But the extra time will do it well for cleaning up and settling out
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Probably not but I'm concerned that it's still bubbling. Probably just cleaning up those off flavors. No harm I letting it sit for another week. I'll fine it with gelatin and let it sit in the cold for a real clean result

Comment

No more bubbles. I added the gelatin on Sunday and now I cant wait for bottling day Saturday. Smells really good

Comment

Brew blend #15 from brew craft. Does it add color? My suspicion is yes and way more then I thought. On the website it states for all the enhancers
                              "Contains a balance of malt, hops and sugars to emulate the particular style of beer. Use in place of dextrose of sugar to produce a fuller bodied fuller flavored beer"
                              I'm assuming they mean dextrose or sugar.
                              I couldn't find a profile for it on beersmith so I used the dextrose profile.

Let me go back. I quickly chilled 2 last night. Opened and poured. Head is low as can be expected on day 5 of bottle conditioning. But the colour is spot on for an amber ale! Taste is crisp and easy drinking slightly malt forward with some biscuit I think. Lovely beer, but once again not a blond

I'll get a pic today.

Cheers
                              Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Comment

Jannie, I suspect that it might be a combination of maltodextrin, dextrose and dry malt extract. I'm not 100% sure though.
                                Most of the brew blends contain a portion of each.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X