Vienna...ale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah next up I'm going to do the same base malt (Vienna), but I'm going to cut it with Pislner malt and leave out the CaraMunich II. I want to see if I can hit those notes without the colour. Also, hops. Man, hops play one HELL of a tole. I used Admiral for the previous batch, but this one I used Southern Star. It's a lot milder hops, with a significantly smoother bitterness. I can't wait to make more with these hops, they're awesome. Also want to try those T90 hops that Langchop also introduced me to. Apparently a hops very similar to what SAB uses in beers like Castle and so on. Want to see if I can make a Castle close, but just better. Better colour and malty goodness. That'll do well with the Vienna, I believe.
    This is apparently a Castle Lager Clone recipe I got from someone a couple of years ago ....

Screenshot_8.jpg

I never got around to making this back in the day, might give it a go this coming summer
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      Actually I was hoping for very 'basic' and 'clean' bittering. Its improving but I found the T90 Blend a very astringent type of bitterness in my SMASH. From a bit of reading up, this seems to be quite widely known with the 'T90 Blend'.
      Hops used in the T90 blend?
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
        Hops used in the T90 blend?
        http://helderbrewsupplies.co.za/product/t90-blend-30g/

I guess that sharpness he gets might be from the Southern Star. I lied above as well, I used Southern Promise for this batch (the smoother one). Star is the sharper one, and I'm also not a big fan. Promise gives me more of the smoother, milder bitterness.

Comment

• Remember T90 refer to the type of hop pellet

In a T90 pellet 90 % of the whole hop cone was used when the hop cones were pressed into pellets, therefore including more hop cone plant material in the pellet when compared to a T45 hop cone pellet that has even less plant material in the pellet and a higher % of hop oils
          Harhm
          Last edited by Harhm; 30 October 2019, 12:50.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• And I learn another thing from you. Cool. Then I have no idea

Comment

• From what I understand they just vary the proportions of the "blend" every season/ batch to target a specific AA range of ~12%. The "T90" part is a bit of a misnomer as, like Hahrm says, its just the 'type' of hop pellet format, which is exactly the same as most hops pellets we are able to buy. They do still seem to refer to it as "T90 Blend" for some reason?

Toxxyc, if you got sharp flavours from your S. Star and thats ~70% of the T90 blend, then it kinda makes sense. Maybe I should give Magnum a shot, or S. Promise (If you arent still lying )
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• i warned you guys about the ZA hops cultivars, but NO, ignore that advice................

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                  i warned you guys about the ZA hops cultivars, but NO, ignore that advice................

still haven't brewed with a sab hop, still not intending to either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                    From what I understand they just vary the proportions of the "blend" every season/ batch to target a specific AA range of ~12%. The "T90" part is a bit of a misnomer as, like Hahrm says, its just the 'type' of hop pellet format, which is exactly the same as most hops pellets we are able to buy. They do still seem to refer to it as "T90 Blend" for some reason?

Toxxyc, if you got sharp flavours from your S. Star and thats ~70% of the T90 blend, then it kinda makes sense. Maybe I should give Magnum a shot, or S. Promise (If you arent still lying )
                    I confused myself with SStar and SPromise. SPromise is the nicer one. Tell me how much you want to use in your next brew and I'll weigh it out for you and bring it along when I return your urn. It's the very least I can do, and then you don't have to go buy a baggie full just to test.

PS: From what I get now from the SPromise, I think it's going to turn into my exclusive hop to use in lighter flavoured beers, like lagers and vienna-based beers (which I'm totally crushing on now).

Comment

• I haven't used any of the other sa hops but I used S passion with Motueka in my last blonde and it was awesome! Cant say I taste Passion fruit though. For sure using it again

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                        I haven't used any of the other sa hops but I used S passion with Motueka in my last blonde and it was awesome! Cant say I taste Passion fruit though. For sure using it again

If you want a tropical fruit hop, try U1/108. It's been renamed to Southern Tropical now, apparently. Tastes like tropical fruits and stuff. I want to make a fruity weiss or something like that with it sometime.

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8uwZmr...ature=youtu.be

Strong Aussie language

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Right at the end he's just like...... no, shakes his head, no......
                            That was hilarious!
                            Almost like auziman reviews

Comment

• LOL I don't see how that beer would be THAT bad though.

Comment

• Righto. I found a video online here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHPy...ature=youtu.be

This guy is a pro brewer, and he followed the same rough procedure I did when making this beer. No boil on the grains, and I just went further and also did a no-chill. I love the idea. Boil the hops on the side during the mash time, add at the end of the mash and sparge with cold water to volume when you're done, straight into the fermenter. You were saying something about lazy brewing, Langchop? I think this takes the cake...

PS: The beer in my fermenter right now is fantastic. It's pretty dry, very low in bitterness (I'm guessing around 15 IBUs), and the malt flavours are better blended this time, so to speak. I like it. It's currently lagering (for the past two weeks or so), and it's looking to turn out great. I love this method, and this recipe is awesome. Will start tweaking it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X