No announcement yet.

Vienna...ale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saflager S-23. It's a "true lager yeast" but can be fermented warmer if need be. I didn't need to ferment it warmer, that room is cold enough.

Comment

You are truly impatient! I lovit. I hope this beer comes out well!

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
        You are truly impatient! I lovit. I hope this beer comes out well!

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
        I am indeed, but I've learned to embrace it. It's not hard to just walk up to the fermenter, hold a shot glass under the tap and tap off a taste. I think that's what makes it hard to resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          I am indeed, but I've learned to embrace it. It's not hard to just walk up to the fermenter, hold a shot glass under the tap and tap off a taste. I think that's what makes it hard to resist.
          Imagine not having to wait for your bottle conditioning :-)

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            Imagine not having to wait for your bottle conditioning :-)
            Yeah once I can get in on the fridge thing, I can't imagine a kegging setup being too far down the line. My biggest problem is space though, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at moving homes. I need "me space" for "all my crap" according to my wife. A house with a study or something like that would be perfect. Even a shed in the garden could work.

Comment

Saflager S-23. It's a "true lager yeast" but can be fermented warmer if need be.
              Says More beer's website sales mumbo jumbo....

S-23 is a very nice yeast and you should get a fairly clean beer out of it at 15C, 34/70 would have been a better choice if you had to ferment around 15C and higher but Its great that you didn't ferment warmer.

34/70 brought out the malts a bit better for me. I did a side by side on a Lite Lager sometime ago but cant remember where I posted it.

Good luck on Lagering it for 3 or 4 months. Send me a six pack Ill look after it for you
              Harhm
              Last edited by Harhm; 26 June 2019, 10:24.
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                Says More beer's website sales mumbo jumbo....

S-23 is a very nice yeast and you should get a fairly clean beer out of it at 15C, 34/70 would have been a better choice if you had to ferment around 15C and higher but Its great that you didn't ferment warmer.

34/70 brought out the malts a bit better for me. I did a side by side on a Lite Lager sometime ago but cant remember where I posted it.

Good luck on Lagering it for 3 or 4 months. Send me a six pack Ill look after it for you
                LOL unfortunately for me, I only have 11l in this batch. That means a 4.5l portion of it will go into a mini keg, and the rest will be bottled. Doing the testing thing once in a while means the ~12 bottles I'll get from it won't last long. I'll store one or two for a while, but I suspect the rest will go quickly. I'm pretty bummed, because how the taste even thus far is, but at least I know now how great this simple recipe actually is. Definitely making it again!

Comment

Been doing some reading up on lagers given that I am due to be using my first lager(ish) yeast soon too. Interesting take on the sometimes quite heated 'What's a lager' debate

https://www.homebrewing.org/Lagering...s_ep_58-1.html
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Righto, so I did the gelatin fining yesterday morning on this beer, 2 weeks after pitching. It's been standing and resting a bit for about 9 days, so I figured it's enough time and I can fine it. This morning the beer is clearing up beautifully, even still in primary. I want to see if I can cool it down even further by placing it somewhere really cold for a night so I can bottle cold the next day, so that might just be on the cards for this coming weekend, if time permits. Otherwise it'll have to wait another week. We'll see. I'm not rushed.

Comment

^ I usually dont gelatin fine in primary as i re-use my yeast for a couple of batches ....

Did you not say you also want to save this yeast ? ... im not sure if the gelatin does something, but rather safe than sorry
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        ^ I usually dont gelatin fine in primary as i re-use my yeast for a couple of batches ....

Did you not say you also want to save this yeast ? ... im not sure if the gelatin does something, but rather safe than sorry
                        I didn't even think about that, to be honest. Well, I guess we'll find out down the line! The gelatin shouldn't interact with the yeast, and I believe the set gelatin will just sink and create a layer on the yeast that I'll just not use or harvest. Won't that be fine?

Comment

I didn't even think about that, to be honest. Well, I guess we'll find out down the line! The gelatin shouldn't interact with the yeast, and I believe the set gelatin will just sink and create a layer on the yeast that I'll just not use or harvest. Won't that be fine?
                          You'll have to do that test and let us know ...

I was just always scared that the gelatin would put a lag on the yeast when adding new wort/sugars and drop the yeast before its done with the new brew? ... then again, I never really researched the "true happenings" of using it as a fining
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Fine in keg or transfer to secondary if you want to reuse the yeast. The first pour from the keg is gunky, good thereafter
                            I do deep clean my kegs after fined in them, probably not necessary, but who wants to risk a batch

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              You'll have to do that test and let us know ...

I was just always scared that the gelatin would put a lag on the yeast when adding new wort/sugars and drop the yeast before its done with the new brew? ... then again, I never really researched the "true happenings" of using it as a fining
                              Yeah same. I think by now it's pretty much just force of habit to add it to the beer, but I think it's a good base for a tester with my next batch. On bottling, bottle half the batch, then fine, then bottle the rest. See what difference it makes?

EDIT: And by difference I mean over long term. I don't keg, so I don't need clear beer in a week.

Comment

Yeah same. I think by now it's pretty much just force of habit to add it to the beer, but I think it's a good base for a tester with my next batch. On bottling, bottle half the batch, then fine, then bottle the rest. See what difference it makes?

EDIT: And by difference I mean over long term. I don't keg, so I don't need clear beer in a week.
                                Are you wanting to add in gelatine and then bottle straight away, or leave to settle for a couple of days first?
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                                X