No announcement yet.

Vienna...ale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to say I like to double up. It gives me a chance to try correct a defect right away. That way I think I'll progress faster to the point where I can reliably pick up a recipe and brew it well. I'm still to hit and miss. And these summer beers go quick! So it's not like I get a chance to get bored with it.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Yeah I find that some brews go quick, while some don't. I have some Vienna now which should last me a month or so, specially with December coming up, I think they're going to go quick. I now want to use this time right now to make another "quick" beer, like a IRA, and then I want to get into another stout I can store for winter, or something like that. Ruby porter or another coffee choc stout, something like that. We'll see.

Comment

• My IRA experience has not been good so far. But once again not the beer's fault. Groen spook seems to have a good handle on his.
        Check out my IRA thread he has helped me a lot. Currently my batch is bubbling way AGAIN coz I added DME on his recommendation.
        Hope it is more drinkable after that.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I actually wouldn't mind copying the Red Ale Lanchop made. His brew was a "leftover" beer, if I'm not mistaken, but I loved the crap out of that beer. Otherwise, a copy of Gilroy's IRA might be on the books. I love that one as well.

Comment

• Do it ! I tend to gravitate to bitter with fuggles and aroma with ekg and fuggles for English beers, yummy

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
              Do it ! I tend to gravitate to bitter with fuggles and aroma with ekg and fuggles for English beers, yummy
              I know Fuggle about hops I haven't tried (tee-hee) so I'll have to read a bit. Heard about it before though.

Comment

• Willamette is a US derivate of Fuggle and a great hops. I do also like First Goldings.

Comment

• I did some IRA research and it seems like Goldings (either First or Kent) are pretty recommended in IRAs. Definitely doing an IRA as my next brew, no doubt about that!

Comment

• Yea, there is definately something very appealing about that warm red glow of a red ale.

I dont have my Red IPA as a 'standard recipe' as such, but as a detailed ingredients and sequence that I did in my 'tupperware' brewkit. Its an excel sheet I can send you and you can decide how you want to adapt it for no-chill etc etc.

Its definately a brew I want to do again.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Latest batch of my Vienna is good. I like it. It's still a malt-bomb, with very little hop presence. Maybe a little bit underhopped, but I'm not too phased. I tested one last night and while the carbonation isn't perfect yet, it's very well carbonated already. I tested something with the carbonation sugars and it worked pretty well. Diluted some dextrose in boiling water and instead of mixing it into the beer (didn't want to rack off, then prime, then back to bottling bucket, etc. I just used a syringe and squirted the same amount of sugar water into each bottle. Took long, and it was annoying, but it worked pretty well.

Anyway. To the beer. Nice colour. Not very clear yet, but definitely not terribly cloudy. I'm guessing in the next week or three it'll drop pretty clear. Will probably have a chill haze issue as it wasn't boiled, but eh, I'm not too worried. The nose and flavours are identical to the previous one, bar the hops. Like I said, it's a malt bomb, and I think I may be overdoing it a little bit with the CaraMunich II. It's still pretty sweet, even though it fermented dry. Mouthfeel is a lot better than on the previous batch, and it's slightly better balanced to me, but a bit on the under side on the bitterness, which is a bummer. Will have to boil more in the future, even if I boil off-kettle and just sparge with the hop tea again, but just boil the hops for longer. I'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        Tasted this beer from the fermenter (at 1.2ºC, so nice and cold) just now, and it's perfect. I'm going to enter this one in a competition somewhere soon, I hope. It's frigging spot-on.
                        https://www.facebook.com/27079...669...8276997282932/

You can enter it here. It would be better than perfect after its been lagered for a few months

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
                        Harhm
                        Last edited by Harhm; 9 December 2019, 06:31.
                        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post

You can enter it here. It would be better than perfect after its been lagered for a few months

Yep, planning on entering this one. For R60 it's really a no-brainer. Thanks man!

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post

Getting this ?

Screenshot_10.jpg
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Getting this ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2235[/ATTACH]
                              Same. I just assumed it's the same as the latest one he posted in the other thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                Getting this ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2235[/ATTACH]
                                Try this direct link to competition
                                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Working...
                                X