Vienna...ale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good News
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      Good News
      Yeah I'm really, really happy with this beer. I want to try and replicate the recipe in the next few weeks, time permitting. In the meantime I still have to run my side-by-side test to see how hot lagering vs cold lagering affected two of the bottles. That's going to be a fun one

Comment

Feedback

Firstly sorry that I know I cant give the quality of feedback that you do. I tried using a printout of one of those BJCP scoresheets as a guide, but it didnt make my flavour identifying skills any better!

It gushed a bit when first opening, so I tried bleed air off a few times. Eventually I just poured into a large glass and let the foam overflow out the glass. Cos I was anxious to taste it!

Gotta say, I completely forgot that it was a light beer initially while tasting, and that says a lot.

Rich gold beer colour with off white/ ivory firm head and a small amount of lacing.

The aromas that came off the foam were amazing, probably along the lines bready with a bit of caramel and maybe some dark fruit. The hops aromas I got seemed to be herbal and floral but maybe some yeast / ester elements in that I couldnt tie down.

Flavour similar to aroma, with bready, caramel notes and less dark fruit, but also a bit grainy. Also earthy and dried fruit undertones in addition to herbal and floral notes.

Mouthfeel and body were pretty good I thought for a low ABV beer, with a bit of creaminess left on the tongue.

I had a Windhoek Light after this taster and would definately choose yours over that.

Great job, and thanks for sharing.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Awesome, thanks man. Yeah I guess the age of the beers followed my test beer's "gushing". I won't be making that mistake again...

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post

It gushed a bit when first opening, so I tried bleed air off a few times. Eventually I just poured into a large glass and let the foam overflow out the glass. Cos I was anxious to taste it!
            Gushing and overflow, not good
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
              Gushing and overflow, not good
              Yep, I had the same thought. The fermentation and gravity was stable for about 3 weeks by the time I bottled, but I also had some that gushed a little bit more than others. It's on the last ones now though, so I'm not too worried. The next batch I'll do better, so I won't have that insecurity.

Comment

My second brew day video is dooooone! Check it out: https://youtu.be/ytVdrLkXBuo

Comment

Perfect
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Great vid mate. You are inspiring me to do one.

Not actual values, maybe not even correct, but doesnt it give you about 40% more IBU that you planned in your original recipe?

ibu1.PNG

ibu2.PNG

Though I do remember you mentioning the bitterness tasted just how you wanted.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                      Great vid mate. You are inspiring me to do one.

Not actual values, maybe not even correct, but doesnt it give you about 40% more IBU that you planned in your original recipe?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2189[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2190[/ATTACH]

Though I do remember you mentioning the bitterness tasted just how you wanted.
                      I have no idea. I didn't use a calculator, but your calcs are a tad off. My previous batch was 11l, 13l in the boil. So if I put those numbers in the calculator bombs out, but I think the point is, I boiled 8 grams of Admiral @ around 14% AA for 60 minutes in 11l of final beer. This time I did 24 grams South Star at around 12% AA for just 20mins, but in 25l of beer. We'll see how it turns out, I guess.

Comment

• I have slow, steady and beautiful ferment going on. Looking forward to this one (as I am looking forward to all my beers, to be honest).

Comment

• Fermentation is done. Did a 3-day rest at 15°C and it's busy crashing down to as cold as the fridge can get it. I've had a taster. This is one damn good beer. Much, much drier than the previous batch and also a lot less hoppy, and pretty clean and already almost "crisp". I seriously can't wait for this beer to be done. This one is going to be GREAT. I'm super glad I made 25l, and another tiny batch (yes Langchop, I know what I said about smaller batches)

Comment

• Vienna (Pilsner) is a frequent in my rotation, love it. Have you done a Steam beer yet? 100% northern brewer? If you're keen, it's another style I'm certain you'd like

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Yeah next up I'm going to do the same base malt (Vienna), but I'm going to cut it with Pislner malt and leave out the CaraMunich II. I want to see if I can hit those notes without the colour. Also, hops. Man, hops play one HELL of a tole. I used Admiral for the previous batch, but this one I used Southern Star. It's a lot milder hops, with a significantly smoother bitterness. I can't wait to make more with these hops, they're awesome. Also want to try those T90 hops that Langchop also introduced me to. Apparently a hops very similar to what SAB uses in beers like Castle and so on. Want to see if I can make a Castle close, but just better. Better colour and malty goodness. That'll do well with the Vienna, I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                                this one I used Southern Star. It's a lot milder hops, with a significantly smoother bitterness. I can't wait to make more with these hops, they're awesome. Also want to try those T90 hops that Langchop also introduced me to. Apparently a hops very similar to what SAB uses in beers like Castle and so on.
                                Actually I was hoping for very 'basic' and 'clean' bittering. Its improving but I found the T90 Blend a very astringent type of bitterness in my SMASH. From a bit of reading up, this seems to be quite widely known with the 'T90 Blend'. Popular view seems to be that Magnum is a good 'clean' bittering hop, but from your feedback I might give S. Star a try as a single bittering addition on one of my forthcoming SMASHES. My smashes need to take a sabbatical as Darren @BKT gave me a liquid yeast to try, which I need to use soon.

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                                I'm super glad I made 25l, and another tiny batch (yes Langchop, I know what I said about smaller batches)
                                Yea yea.. I assumed that original comment about small batches was a typo or a momentary lapse in judgement anyway!
                                Langchop
                                Last edited by Langchop; 30 October 2019, 09:56.
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X