X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beersmith vs Brewers Friend

Hi everyone.

Happy Friday!

I have noticed that most of you use Beersmith. I use Brewer's Friend and I was wondering what the major differences are between the two. Would it be better for me to use Beersmith instead?

Hi Johan,

I can't speak to either of those, but I use brewfather and grainfather. I like both, even after the horrendous update from GF. Do some research on a comparison for brewfather(paid) and beersmith perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      Hi Johan,

I can't speak to either of those, but I use brewfather and grainfather. I like both, even after the horrendous update from GF. Do some research on a comparison for brewfather(paid) and beersmith perhaps?
      I will look into it thanks. I was just wondering, because a lot of the recipes shared here are from Beersmith and I can't open them.

Comment

The free https://brew.grainfather.com will import xml, Do try https://brewfather.app - no uploads on the free version

GF has heaps of recipes on there, you can create your own equipment profile - so dont need a grainfather. From an app perspective brewfather is a bit more advanced, has an inventory option and, water calcs etc.

Comment

That's great. Thank you very much.

Comment

I used to use a free app called Worts. But when taking the recipe and inputting it in my friend beersmith it had wildly different results. So for simplicity I just followed like a sheep to beersmith. It's not real user friendly in the beginning but I ended up liking it and all the recipes, profiles and calculators on there

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
              The free https://brew.grainfather.com will import xml, Do try https://brewfather.app - no uploads on the free version

GF has heaps of recipes on there, you can create your own equipment profile - so dont need a grainfather. From an app perspective brewfather is a bit more advanced, has an inventory option and, water calcs etc.
              I had a look at Brewfather. I like! Thanks groenspookasem.

Comment

Anytime, it's pretty hard to find fault with brewfather. I like it quite a lot too. Everything is well laid out and efficient, great integration with many different hydrometers, smartpid etc. I wish it could speak to the GF, then life would be great!

Comment

I'm considering using something else because Beersmith 3 is crap. I've now reverted to version 2.

Comment

I actually used the Brewfather app suggested by Groenspookasem over the weekend. It really is pretty good. It even links up to Tilt hydrometers and all that sort, if you are into that sort of thing (which I'm not).

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                      I'm considering using something else because Beersmith 3 is crap. I've now reverted to version 2.
                      In what way? ... I've done the upgrade and can't find it fault .... imported all my recipes and actually prefer this over the previous version now that Im used to it.
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Stander View Post
                        I will look into it thanks. I was just wondering, because a lot of the recipes shared here are from Beersmith and I can't open them.
                        Hi Johan, another good resource for recipes is the book Brewing Classic Styles. I use that for a base or reference point for most of my beers. When I follow the recipes straight, they are always well balanced beers.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          In what way? ... I've done the upgrade and can't find it fault .... imported all my recipes and actually prefer this over the previous version now that Im used to it.
                          I'm getting weird cases where my efficiencies are now out and the colours as well. Now that could be ingredient specs but I used standard ingredients as per the inventory and I'll have to now check the same recipe between the two versions and try an isolate the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                          Hi Johan, another good resource for recipes is the book Brewing Classic Styles. I use that for a base or reference point for most of my beers. When I follow the recipes straight, they are always well balanced beers.
                          that book should be owned by every brewer

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                            That is definitely my next buy. I have Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes already and there are some great recipes in there too.

Comment

Had a quick look at Brewfarther seems quite good. Impressed with there inventory. Might use at a later date, currently use an app I developed for myself.
                              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                              X