Distillation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Stefficat Welcome
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
      groenspookasem
      Banned
      Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:28.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        @Stefficat Welcome
        [emoji16][emoji41]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thinking of making Vodka for the wife as she is not really a beer drinker.
          Never made spirits before, did a google and have got the basics.
          Will most likely construct my own pot still.
          How much ingredients will I need for 1 litre of Vodka ?.
          Any advise will be apperciated.
          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I will say it'll be pretty hard to try and make one litre of vodka on the dot. At 40% ABV you're going to need 500ml of distillate at 80% ABV, or around 6l of wash at 10% ABV. That's not a lot. I'd rather do a full batch, say 20l at 10% ABV, and store the rest. It's effort to make smaller batches, I think.

Comment

groenspookasem
              Banned
              Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:28.

Comment

Yea, the proper distillers seem to even frown upon anything less than 50L. On my first 14L experiment, I could kind of see why. Sampling and measuring in small increments is quite fiddly. I say +1 for starting with a standard beer batch size of 20/23L if you are able
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I'm also looking at the distilling idea, actually my plan was to start there and work my way to brewing beer. Well, at the time I couldn't find a still soon enough, so I started with beer. Now I'm also finding, I only have my little toe in the door and still need lots of equipment to brew if I wanted to move away from extract or kit n kilo.

My current plan is to go either with a 30L or 50L keg and buy some copper or a keg kit. I also looked at a small 7L still when I started looking and doing research and everyone keeps saying that it is a waste, so now I'm leaning towards the 50L. Now with your statement @Langchop I'm leaning even more towards the 50L keg. So if I made a 10% abv wash and filled it 2/3 to about 34L and get close to 10% return, it should be worth the effort I imagine.

Comment

groenspookasem
                    Banned
                    Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:29.

Comment

Stupid question - how do you filter it through carbon? Just a filter paper full of activated charcoal and then pour the booze over?

Comment

groenspookasem
                        Banned
                        Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:29.

Comment

Yeah that's what I had in mind as well. Charcoal in a coffee filter, stuck into a pipe of sorts to let it cover the whole lot, and then into a container from where I'll use it. Thanks mate!

Comment

Groen, any tips for starting out with the alembic still? I got one over the weekend, but I am not sure where to start for Gin. Should I buy some cheap vodka tomorrow or should I try make a wash and how neutral will I get it?

Comment

Quick Q - I have some industrial alcohol. There's obvious stuff added to make it taste and smell bad. I distilled some for the hell of it (watered it down to 40%, then stuck it in the still) and the product coming out is almost nice. The question is - is it still acceptable to consume? I don't want to drink stuff that's toxic. The product is apparently 98% Ethanol (for lab purposes) and there's no other alcohols added (because it has to be ethanol), but it has that definitive "hospital" smell on it.

So I ran it through the still and the first drippings that came out has a STRONG hospital smell. The same stuff that makes the ethanol stink/taste bad, so I'm making a very generous cut with that in mind. I'm just asking - is the rest fine to drink if I distill it 2 or 3 times? It smells fine and tastes fine, so I'm just asking how would you know?

EDIT: I have to add, the place I got the alcohol from said it should be safe to drink, so there's that.
                              Toxxyc
                              Last edited by Toxxyc; 18 August 2020, 08:45.

Comment

groenspookasem
                                Banned
                                Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:29. Reason: meh

Comment

Working...
                                X