Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Agree with Harhm and jakeslouw. Also brew 50L keggle BIAB.
    Done some calcs, to get to effeciency of GF the extra cost per brew, it would take me something like 20 years to break even.
    Yes more precise temp control on GF.
    Personally to me clarity is not a major issue.
    I feel more precise temp control when fermetting is more important.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

So, who has a GF lying around that they don't use and don't mind passing on to a deserving starter like myself? I'll share... :P

GF camp piping up:
    Do you have a controlled fermentation chamber? Kegerator? How much do you brew?

High ABV beers are very possible, but does take time - reiterated mashing. High level overview. If your doing a 9kg, split your batch in two 4.5kg batches, do one after the other., 2nd mash goes in 1st wort. Mash and sparge for a 4.5kg batch. Take grainbasket out, add next 4.5kg grain batch in (check unit water volume). Mash again, use ~20% of the volume in the unit and use that as your sparge indicator. Brewhouse efficiency shoots up to 85%-90%. It does take longer, more electricity but is possible. Yes you do need an urn - I got a 20l one which works well.
    I like to brew each batch differently and I brew mainly for myself, so the unit size is perfect. It's easy peasy, no winches, jacks or forklifts needed to get your grain out. It has a small footprint if space is an issue.

Disclaimer: I bought the GF, urn, kegerator, kegs etc all in one go. Not long after that, the ferm fridge. I did get one of those full size upright fridge only jobbies - so I can ferment two batches of similar style in one chamber. Expensive outlay? That depends on how you view your sane staying hobbies. Equipment purchases since then was the mill and alembic. I'm in two minds around the tilt hydrometer as it's cool, but wont improve my beers and I'm off topic....