Clearout Brews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearout Brews

Ok, so just moving this here cos its a better place to be, and I want to keep track of them!:

Ingrediants I had and wanted to use:

I'm at one of those stages where I am long overdue a brewday, and want to use what I have before ingredients get too stale. Any recipe suggestions for the following ingredients I have: (I typically do an 18l batch using 4.5kg of grain)

Malts. All in kg:

Pilsener 2
    Carapils 0.7
    Wheat malt 0.3
    Sab pale 3
    Pale crystal 0.1
    Med crystal 0.6
    Munich malt II. 0.5
    Caramunich I. 0.8

Hops. All in g:

Saaz 100
    Xja2 60
    T90 30
    J17 75
    S. Passion 35
    S. Aroma 50
    S. Star 100
    Cascade 60
    Columbus 100
    U1/132 40
    U1/108 100

Edit:yeast
    S04
    US05
    S23
    S23
    K97
    Nottingham ale

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm thinking along the lines of a Pilsener and then a hoppedtohell Neipa or something like that

Some ideas...

Ok, just as tinkered with on BS app on my phone, from available ingredients that I have and comments here. The upcoming brews

Saaz Bohemian Pilsener (~20L)

2kg pilsener malt
    1.8kg pale palt
    0.70 kg carapils
    0.2kg medium crystal malt

26g Southern Star @ 60min
    30g Saaz @ 30 min
    40g Saaz @ 10 min
    30g Saaz @ flameout
    [Maybe reallocate some of the Saaz above to dry hop a bit as well/ instead?)

Saflager S-23

1.050 OG
    4.8% ABV
    39.5 IBU
    4.4 SRM

Hack n Bash Light Hoppy Red Ale ~20L (Just to use what I have and see what comes out -Limited pale malt left-might be low on enzymes):

1.2kg pale malt
    0.8kg Caramunich 1
    0.6kg Medium crystal
    0.5kg Munich 2
    0.2kg wheat malt

Hop types/ schedule/ IBU tbd
    Might scale down volume to up the OG
    Likely US05 yeast

1.035 OG
    3.4% ABV

Tear it apart with comments or warnings!

After some great feedback in another thread: http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...2791#post22791

This is what I have adapted it to (reducing batch sizes for grain shortages):

Saaz Bohemian Pilsener (~20L )

2kg pilsener malt
    1.8kg pale palt
    0.70 kg carapils
    0.2kg medium crystal malt

20g Southern Star @ 60min
    30g Saaz @ 30 min
    40g Saaz @ 10 min
    30g Saaz @ 1 min
    [Edit: removed dry hopping]

Saflager S-23

1.050 OG
    4.8% ABV
    32.9 IBU
    4.4 SRM

Hack n Bash Double Session Red IPA Thingy (15L):

1.2kg pale malt
    0.8kg Caramunich 1
    0.6kg Medium crystal
    0.5kg Munich 2
    0.3kg wheat malt

35g southern passion @ 10 min
    60g cascade @ 10 min
    20g u1/132 @ 5 min
    50g u1/108 @1 min
    35g african queen @1 min
    Dry hop 2 days: 40g african queen; 50g u1/108; 20g u1/132

S04 yeast

1.048 OG
    4.8% ABV

[pale+wheat+munich2 totalled 209 Lintner divided by 3.4kg total grain gives 61L/kg. Theoretically enough but probably marginal. I will follow your good practice recommendations Harhm to just make sure I get full conversion]
    So looking forward to brewing again.
    Langchop
    Last edited by Langchop; 28 June 2019, 09:44. Reason: Removed dry hopping
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

oops, I also replied to the other thread
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

New values is still off on my side ... I personally would also not dry hop a pilsner?

Screenshot_10.jpg

I used the AA % of current stock at Beerlab

Comment

I have BS 2 on my PC and BS3 on my phone. I will have to check how they correlate when I load it on my PC.

This is what I get on my phone... Maybe there really is a big difference between BS 2 and 3

Screenshot_20190627_194014_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
        Langchop
        Last edited by Langchop; 27 June 2019, 19:44. Reason: Also. Because of my unconventional 'mash-boil-ferment-in-a-bucket' setup, BS needs some tweaks to be accurate
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          New values is still off on my side ... I personally would also not dry hop a pilsner?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2024[/ATTACH]

I used the AA % of current stock at Beerlab
          I don't think there's anything wrong with dry hopping a Pilsner. Just use the appropriate hops and understand that if you are going to lager it for 6 months, the aroma will have faded a bit. Maybe a late hop or whirlpool addition is an alternative.

Comment

Finally doing a brew again! First up is Clearout brew 1: Saaz Pilsener

Screenshot_20190630_085532.jpg

I have actually forgotten all my tweaks to make beersmith work for my brewbucket so am just winging it.

Also, I think I may have figured out this big IBU discrepancy. When I put the recipe into my PC BS2 I also got off the charts IBUs compared to the app on the phone. The phone app has an altitude setting which I can't find in BS2, and apparently this has quite a big effect on isomerising (lower boiling temp I guess)
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

^ here is were to find that setting .......

Comment

Thanks Jigsaw. Im still on BS2, so I will need to see if there is that setting is in there somewhere too.

I actually am starting to favour my own old spreadsheet calculator over Beersmith full stop. At least I can customise in or out anything that I want. This whole concept of setting a batch size and working backwards really doesnt work for me or my setup. I need/want to calculate to get out as much as I can with mash volume near max capacity.

Interesting case in point is that my 120g of hops absorbed about 1L of wort, which I dont think BS accounts for. You dont really want to 'hide' that under boiloff rates or anywhere else as it will be quite different between heavily and lightly hopped beers (~10ml wort/1g of hops)

Happy to say that my first lager ferment (S23) is underway and a nice and slow steady bubbling is underway. I got a bit concerned when the pack said I may need two packets
                Langchop
                Last edited by Langchop; 1 July 2019, 13:55.
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Still gurgling away steadily. I have revisited my pre-Beersmith brew calculator and adapted it for my boilbucket setup (heres to hoping its largely accurate) I just am dumbstruck by the insanely low efficiencies. These seem to be correct as verified on Brewers friend.

STATS.PNG

Is it really possible or likely to get such low efficiencies of below 50% with nothing knowingly notably going wrong. The only things I can think of are:
                  -Oldish grains, do they or can they lose much extractability with age?
                  -I never really know whether to choose US/ German/UK variants of the malts I have in the recipe builders. Does it make any real difference? can they vary that much?
                  -Maybe funny measurement on my refractometer (that I didnt verify with hydrometer)?
                  -Maybe mash temps werent read accurately and were out by a large enough margin to have a huge effect (My usual digital thermometers battery was flat, so I used my manual brewing thermometer, but I would expect that to be even more accurate)?
                  -I did recheck all fluid heights and volumes so those are definately correct.
                  -Does topping up with water through the process affect efficiency? It shouldnt as far as I am aware.
                  -I did note that I lost almost an entire litre to the boil hops, but this doesnt factor into the mash efficiency which is similarly low?

Has anyone had a big drop in efficiency and managed to find what one major probable cause is?

EDIT: I did also add a factor into my IBU calc for altitude, and it also straight away cut the bitterness by about 30%. Got to add that with the wort, it definately didnt taste very bitter either, but maybe some hops are older than I realise.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                    Still gurgling away steadily. I have revisited my pre-Beersmith brew calculator and adapted it for my boilbucket setup (heres to hoping its largely accurate) I just am dumbstruck by the insanely low efficiencies. These seem to be correct as verified on Brewers friend.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2032[/ATTACH]

Is it really possible or likely to get such low efficiencies of below 50% with nothing knowingly notably going wrong. The only things I can think of are:
                    -I never really know whether to choose US/ German/UK variants of the malts I have in the recipe builders. Does it make any real difference? can they vary that much?
                    -Maybe funny measurement on my refractometer (that I didnt verify with hydrometer)?
                    -Maybe mash temps werent read accurately and were out by a large enough margin to have a huge effect (My usual digital thermometers battery was flat, so I used my manual brewing thermometer, but I would expect that to be even more accurate)?
                    -Does topping up with water through the process affect efficiency? It shouldnt as far as I am aware.
                    -I did note that I lost almost an entire litre to the boil hops, but this doesnt factor into the mash efficiency which is similarly low?

Has anyone had a big drop in efficiency and managed to find what one major probable cause is?

EDIT: I did also add a factor into my IBU calc for altitude, and it also straight away cut the bitterness by about 30%. Got to add that with the wort, it definately didnt taste very bitter either, but maybe some hops are older than I realise.
                    I think it's temperature. I think we underestimate the ~15°C difference winter makes in getting the mash temps to spec, and to keep it there. That's the only explanation I can get from my terrible efficiency last time.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2032[/ATTACH]

I beleive adding top up water will decrease your effeciency, effeciency is calculated based on your maximum potentail yield and your actual measured OG. So adding top up water will decrease your actual OG reading and therefore your effeciency.

If max potential yield is 50 gravity points (OG = 1.05). Actual OG = 1.04 (40 gravity points)
                      Then effeciency = 40/50 = 80%
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Now that you mention temperature Toxxyc, I remember I actually 'got it to temp' using the manual thermometer and then used my temp controllers STC (admittedly the cheap china one) to monitor temp throughout the mash. May be worth be doing a check between the thermometer and the STC and to some other benchmark. I also for the first time used a 'High Performance Advanced Technology Insulation Jacket' [ie. cut up yoga mat] around the bucket during the mash, which should have helped at least a bit. What did your mash efficiency drop down to?

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                        I beleive adding top up water will decrease your effeciency, effeciency is calculated based on your maximum potentail yield and your actual measured OG. So adding top up water will decrease your actual OG reading and therefore your effeciency.

If max potential yield is 50 gravity points (OG = 1.05). Actual OG = 1.04 (40 gravity points)
                        Then effeciency = 40/50 = 80%
                        My mash efficiency was calculated from the measurements directly after pulling out the grain bag, so no water was added before that. Technically speaking though, adding water should not change the efficiency as the 'amount' of extracted sugar stays the same. (You just have more of less rather than less of more if you add water) You need to also factor volume into your efficiency calc.

Am I right in measuring the the volume/ SG of the wort AFTER pulling out the grain bag? (for the efficiency check that is)
                        Langchop
                        Last edited by Langchop; 4 July 2019, 10:36. Reason: convert to comprehensible english
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

My ME dropped to 50%. Same as yours.

Comment

Now that you mention temperature Toxxyc, I remember I actually 'got it to temp' using the manual thermometer and then used my temp controllers STC (admittedly the cheap china one) to monitor temp throughout the mash. May be worth be doing a check between the thermometer and the STC and to some other benchmark. I also for the first time used a 'High Performance Advanced Technology Insulation Jacket' [ie. cut up yoga mat] around the bucket during the mash, which should have helped at least a bit. What did your mash efficiency drop down to?

My mash efficiency was calculated from the measurements directly after pulling out the grain bag, so no water was added before that. Technically speaking though, adding water should not change the efficiency as the 'amount' of extracted sugar stays the same. (You just have more of less rather than less of more if you add water) You need to also factor volume into your efficiency calc.

Am I right in measuring the the volume/ SG of the wort AFTER pulling out the grain bag? (for the efficiency check that is)
                            Stand corrected, thought you calculated effeciency after adding water.
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                              Stand corrected, thought you calculated effeciency after adding water.
                              I have just been reading up to check my calcs and theories and info. There seems to be widely differing views of what "efficiency" is throughout the world!:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/t...ciency.288534/
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X