Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearout Brews

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Still gurgling away steadily. I have revisited my pre-Beersmith brew calculator and adapted it for my boilbucket setup (heres to hoping its largely accurate) I just am dumbstruck by the insanely low efficiencies. These seem to be correct as verified on Brewers friend.

Attachment 2032

Is it really possible or likely to get such low efficiencies of below 50% with nothing knowingly notably going wrong. The only things I can think of are:
    -Oldish grains, do they or can they lose much extractability with age?
    -I never really know whether to choose US/ German/UK variants of the malts I have in the recipe builders. Does it make any real difference? can they vary that much?
    -Maybe funny measurement on my refractometer (that I didnt verify with hydrometer)?
    -Maybe mash temps werent read accurately and were out by a large enough margin to have a huge effect (My usual digital thermometers battery was flat, so I used my manual brewing thermometer, but I would expect that to be even more accurate)?
    -I did recheck all fluid heights and volumes so those are definately correct.
    -Does topping up with water through the process affect efficiency? It shouldnt as far as I am aware.
    -I did note that I lost almost an entire litre to the boil hops, but this doesnt factor into the mash efficiency which is similarly low?

Has anyone had a big drop in efficiency and managed to find what one major probable cause is?

EDIT: I did also add a factor into my IBU calc for altitude, and it also straight away cut the bitterness by about 30%. Got to add that with the wort, it definately didnt taste very bitter either, but maybe some hops are older than I realise.
    I beleive adding top up water will decrease your effeciency, effeciency is calculated based on your maximum potentail yield and your actual measured OG. So adding top up water will decrease your actual OG reading and therefore your effeciency.

If max potential yield is 50 gravity points (OG = 1.05). Actual OG = 1.04 (40 gravity points)
    Then effeciency = 40/50 = 80%
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Now that you mention temperature Toxxyc, I remember I actually 'got it to temp' using the manual thermometer and then used my temp controllers STC (admittedly the cheap china one) to monitor temp throughout the mash. May be worth be doing a check between the thermometer and the STC and to some other benchmark. I also for the first time used a 'High Performance Advanced Technology Insulation Jacket' [ie. cut up yoga mat] around the bucket during the mash, which should have helped at least a bit. What did your mash efficiency drop down to?

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    I beleive adding top up water will decrease your effeciency, effeciency is calculated based on your maximum potentail yield and your actual measured OG. So adding top up water will decrease your actual OG reading and therefore your effeciency.

If max potential yield is 50 gravity points (OG = 1.05). Actual OG = 1.04 (40 gravity points)
    Then effeciency = 40/50 = 80%
    My mash efficiency was calculated from the measurements directly after pulling out the grain bag, so no water was added before that. Technically speaking though, adding water should not change the efficiency as the 'amount' of extracted sugar stays the same. (You just have more of less rather than less of more if you add water) You need to also factor volume into your efficiency calc.

Am I right in measuring the the volume/ SG of the wort AFTER pulling out the grain bag? (for the efficiency check that is)
    Last edited by Langchop; 4th July 2019 at 10:36. Reason: convert to comprehensible english
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

My ME dropped to 50%. Same as yours.

Now that you mention temperature Toxxyc, I remember I actually 'got it to temp' using the manual thermometer and then used my temp controllers STC (admittedly the cheap china one) to monitor temp throughout the mash. May be worth be doing a check between the thermometer and the STC and to some other benchmark. I also for the first time used a 'High Performance Advanced Technology Insulation Jacket' [ie. cut up yoga mat] around the bucket during the mash, which should have helped at least a bit. What did your mash efficiency drop down to?

My mash efficiency was calculated from the measurements directly after pulling out the grain bag, so no water was added before that. Technically speaking though, adding water should not change the efficiency as the 'amount' of extracted sugar stays the same. (You just have more of less rather than less of more if you add water) You need to also factor volume into your efficiency calc.

Am I right in measuring the the volume/ SG of the wort AFTER pulling out the grain bag? (for the efficiency check that is)
    Stand corrected, thought you calculated effeciency after adding water.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Stand corrected, thought you calculated effeciency after adding water.
    I have just been reading up to check my calcs and theories and info. There seems to be widely differing views of what "efficiency" is throughout the world!:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/t...ciency.288534/
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.ginormity.com

I have just been reading up to check my calcs and theories and info. There seems to be widely differing views of what "efficiency" is throughout the world!:

Read the forum thread, yes I see what you mean.
    I decided soon after starting all grain to keep it simple.
    I only calculate my effeciency after chilling the wort. I do no other effeciency calculations.
    I could do effeciency calculations at different stages of the process to see where one can improve.
    Not bothered I am quite happy with my effeciency.

I think you should only read that if you DON'T want to learn anything about efficiency

My head started to hurt and I needed a beer after reading a couple of post, so I gave up.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I've been ignoring efficiency, 1kg fermentable malt = 1.010 points. I'm usually 1.002 or 1.003 brix points out if I'm out, otherwise on the numbers. I don't really care for such small margins too much.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    I've been ignoring efficiency, 1kg fermentable malt = 1.010 points. I'm usually 1.002 or 1.003 brix points out if I'm out, otherwise on the numbers. I don't really care for such small margins too much.

You mean .002-.003 Gravity points? .....

1 brix point = 4 gravity point
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post

I like that. Means you can think up a recipe just while standing in the shower.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.ginormity.com