White IPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White IPA

Planning to do a white IPA in the near future.
    Not sure if I should includen the melanoidin or not.
    Traditionally the quantity of flaked wheat should be higher, but I also don't want to go to low on diastatic power.
    Please any sugestions as to the recipe.

White IPA.jpg
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Check the EBC on Melano, it might not be white after adding. EDIT: meh, it's pretty low on both of them 80 and 40

Comment

Was 99% convinced you made that up but no! It's even recognized by the bjcp. Since 2015! Wow I have a lot to learn! BTW that sheet is so cool. Everything is right there

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Sub some wheat with Wheat Malt (Brewcraft stock Best) to increase diastatic power. 50 L and above you should be fine. I have only played with Melanioden in Pilsners keep it under 5% and you should be fine above 5% the flavour was very noticeable in a low ebc grain bill.

Nice spread sheet, excel level = expert

Ps. You should brew a white Stout also.
        Harhm
        Last edited by Harhm; 2 July 2019, 09:08.
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
          Sub some wheat with Wheat Malt (Brewcraft stock Best) to increase diastatic power. 50 L and above you should be fine. I have only played with Melanioden in Pilsners keep it under 5% and you should be fine above 5% the flavour was very noticeable in a low ebc grain bill.

Nice spread sheet, excel level = expert

Ps. You should brew a white Stout also.
          Thanks, did as suggested got my diastatic to 50.5 L
          First time hearing about White IPA will give it a go.

P.S. If a recipe calls for Maris Otter, do you use it or do you sub with something else, I usually us 90% SAB Pale and 10% Munich. This is mainly due to costs, Pale is a third of the price of Maris Otter.

Comment

I have never brewed with MO until recently due to the price like you mentioned. I brewed 2 Irish Red Ales a month ago but never really tasted the MO against the pale malt.

I would imagine that my 1st guess would have been to combined 5% biscuit malt with Pale malt but would think that 10% Munich would do the trick very well. The best way to tell is to actually taste the malt raw or to make mini mashes of MO, Munich/Pale and Biscuit/Pale, but that's a lot of work.

Sorry I cant help you with this one.
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
              I have never brewed with MO until recently due to the price like you mentioned. I brewed 2 Irish Red Ales a month ago but never really tasted the MO against the pale malt.

I would imagine that my 1st guess would have been to combined 5% biscuit malt with Pale malt but would think that 10% Munich would do the trick very well. The best way to tell is to actually taste the malt raw or to make mini mashes of MO, Munich/Pale and Biscuit/Pale, but that's a lot of work.

Sorry I cant help you with this one.
              Thanks no problem, just interested in your opinion and what you have done.

Comment

Working...
              X