Thread: White IPA

White IPA

Planning to do a white IPA in the near future.
    Not sure if I should includen the melanoidin or not.
    Traditionally the quantity of flaked wheat should be higher, but I also don't want to go to low on diastatic power.
    Please any sugestions as to the recipe.

White IPA.jpg
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Check the EBC on Melano, it might not be white after adding. EDIT: meh, it's pretty low on both of them 80 and 40

Was 99% convinced you made that up but no! It's even recognized by the bjcp. Since 2015! Wow I have a lot to learn! BTW that sheet is so cool. Everything is right there

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Sub some wheat with Wheat Malt (Brewcraft stock Best) to increase diastatic power. 50 L and above you should be fine. I have only played with Melanioden in Pilsners keep it under 5% and you should be fine above 5% the flavour was very noticeable in a low ebc grain bill.

Nice spread sheet, excel level = expert

Ps. You should brew a white Stout also.
    Last edited by Harhm; 2nd July 2019 at 09:08.
    I value your experience more than your opinion Time is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    Sub some wheat with Wheat Malt (Brewcraft stock Best) to increase diastatic power. 50 L and above you should be fine. I have only played with Melanioden in Pilsners keep it under 5% and you should be fine above 5% the flavour was very noticeable in a low ebc grain bill.

Nice spread sheet, excel level = expert

Ps. You should brew a white Stout also.
    Thanks, did as suggested got my diastatic to 50.5 L
    First time hearing about White IPA will give it a go.

P.S. If a recipe calls for Maris Otter, do you use it or do you sub with something else, I usually us 90% SAB Pale and 10% Munich. This is mainly due to costs, Pale is a third of the price of Maris Otter.

I have never brewed with MO until recently due to the price like you mentioned. I brewed 2 Irish Red Ales a month ago but never really tasted the MO against the pale malt.

I would imagine that my 1st guess would have been to combined 5% biscuit malt with Pale malt but would think that 10% Munich would do the trick very well. The best way to tell is to actually taste the malt raw or to make mini mashes of MO, Munich/Pale and Biscuit/Pale, but that's a lot of work.

Sorry I cant help you with this one.
    I value your experience more than your opinion Time is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    I have never brewed with MO until recently due to the price like you mentioned. I brewed 2 Irish Red Ales a month ago but never really tasted the MO against the pale malt.

I would imagine that my 1st guess would have been to combined 5% biscuit malt with Pale malt but would think that 10% Munich would do the trick very well. The best way to tell is to actually taste the malt raw or to make mini mashes of MO, Munich/Pale and Biscuit/Pale, but that's a lot of work.

Sorry I cant help you with this one.
    Thanks no problem, just interested in your opinion and what you have done.