What should I buy next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I buy next?

I currently have a BIAB set up with a 50l urn and I want to upgrade as economically as possible. I'm thinking temp controler/heat belt or a wort pump or refractometer might be good but I dont know if any one of those things will make enough of an impact to be worth it seeing as I'm making OK beer as it is. Kegging would be great but it will have to be a donation at this point.
    What should I get next? To make a serious impact in the time, quantity or quality of my beer?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

If you dont have one yet, I'd say a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Bit costly, but scour the web for used fridges, add the stc1000, a heatpad and you're good to go

Comment

I agree with Spook. The whole shebang is probably more than you had in mind, but the chamber could make your 'OK' beers into great beers.
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Agree, the fermentation chamber is the way to go, if you do not have the funds rather save till you have enough.
        Before I had a fermentation chamber regulating the temp was difficult and somewhat work intensive and even then I still had temp fluctuations. More precise temp control will improve beer quality.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

+1 on what others are saying.

You're already brewing good beer with your BIAB setup .... next step is to have perfect fermentation at a set temperature

All the other stuff you mentioned is just "nice to have's"
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

It has all been said.

Comment

Thank you all. I plan to make a basic fermentation chamber out of wood. Temp controler on the way from Wish. Will post once I'm fully up and running, it might take awhile because its wish.

Comment

check out bob, i saw some stc1000's going for cheap, polystyrene is a good insulator and cheap too.

Comment

R300 for both

Comment

Sweet !! How do you plan to put it all together? I want another stc for my kegerator, I dont trust the temps, havent had an issue, but feel my brews can be colder, or more precisely colder :-D

Comment

I am thinking of making a semi portable controler box so I can use it on my kettle for Mash stands but that has some complexity I haven't yet sorted out.

For the short term I am going to use it for ensuring I'm hitting Ale temps for my fermentation.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                        Sweet !! How do you plan to put it all together? I want another stc for my kegerator, I dont trust the temps, havent had an issue, but feel my brews can be colder, or more precisely colder :-D
                        Thanks. That's a good tip. I will look to do that along side the foil type roof or cieling insulation I have lying around.

Comment

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/4214...CAL_STOCK.html

180606114134_LScstc.jpg
                          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                            I think that's the one I bought as well. I just paid a bit more, around R230 if I remember correctly. Works perfectly. The programming guide inside is utterly useless, so I had to Google how to program it, but in the end it's damn easy enough so that's just fine.

Comment

Damn, that is a good price. Buy 2.

Out of interests sake, of two controllers I have had for the same length of time, one Elitech 'original' STC1000 and one 'cheapy rip off': The first one to fail was the 'original'. The cool circuit relay periodically sticks in the power-on position. Luckily I use this on my thermoelectric chamber so it cant really overcool.

My point is, I might as well just keep using the cheapies, especially at bargain prices like that.

Good luck with your project. Looking forward to the pics
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                              X