Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanitisers/Sterilizers - what's the best, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Just to add my recent learnings to this old discussion. I did eventually learn what this no rinse sanitising powder I have always been using actually is. I have been using it largely similarly to starsan to date [Ie. Storing in a bottle, general spraying to disinfect etc.] and was worried it was actually S. Percarbonate and I wasnt actually sanitizing anything.

It seems to be sodium metabisulfite. Apparently this has been used as a brewing sanitizer for a long long time. What I like about it is you can actually mix it and store it and reuse it many times like starsan. Its not slimy like S. percarbonate and not very acidic nor has an acidic smell like acidisan. It does have a slight vapour kick when you smell it close, but frankly much preferred to that acid smell.

I recently bought some acidisan, perasan and some phosphoric acid to try, but imagine I ill always stick with this sodium metabisulphite. (also got some S. percarbonate, but definately not using that for sanitizing)
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sodium Meta works fine for a sanitizer. It's a STRONG anti-oxidant as well. I have some worries in using it, and perhaps it's wrong or something, but this is how I have it from using it to stabilize meads:

1. Smelling the powder dry can permanently damage your sinuses.
        2. It can produce a sulphur flavour or smell or note in brewing if you're not careful. It's quite detectable if you're not careful.
        3. It does "go off", so to speak. Sodium Meta works by breaking down into SO2 and other solids. SO2 is toxic.
        4. Following from 3, one of the things that remain behind is Sodium. Sodium isn't good for our health.

To combat the above, most brewers and winemakes will rather opt for K-Meta, or Potassium Metabisulfite. It does the same as above, but leaves behind potassium, which is good for yeast (they like it) during fermentation. I'm not sure I'll use Sodium Metabisulfite in my process. Acidisan works fine, doesn't leave behind a taste and I'm not worried about what it does to my brews.

Comment

I say it with a bit of trepidation because I am no chemist. But in fairness an MSDS for any ingredient of almost any cleaner and sanitiser makes it look like the most noxious, toxic substance on earth?
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

More proof that "sodium PERcarbonate" is referred to as a cleaner ...

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yea I just hate that sliminess and wouldn't use it without a good rinse anyway, sanitiser or not. I agree with the premise of using a cleaner to clean and a sanitiser to sanitise. I'm quite surprised how much that Fermentasaurus kinks inwards. That can't be great for it!?
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Did some general cleaning and made some dilutions, thought it would be interesting to take some pH readings, calibrated pH meter, was out by 0.2 last calibration about a year ago. Heres what i did. H2O 7.3 pH

1% Acidisan 2.1 pH
                1% Perisan 4.1 pH
                2% Caustic 11.8 pH

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                Harhm
                Last edited by Harhm; 30 November 2019, 11:11.
                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

So Acidisan @ 1% is the best of the lot then ?

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    So Acidisan @ 1% is the best of the lot then ?
                    Jip we need a few more data points but yes its seems to be case.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Would like to see 2% acidisan if you do some more readings

Comment

Good info, thanks for the tests.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                          Jip we need a few more data points but yes its seems to be case. Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                          Thats good news as i started using that a few months ago after using Starsan for years. I find it stay below PH3 just like Starsan for a long time which means it can be stored and re-used. Negatives are that it foams a lot more than Starsan and you need quiet a bit more concentrate compared to Starsan to mix the same amount of solution.

Comment

Good info, thanks for sharing.
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Thats good news as i started using that a few months ago after using Starsan for years. I find it stay below PH3 just like Starsan for a long time which means it can be stored and re-used. Negatives are that it foams a lot more than Starsan and you need quiet a bit more concentrate compared to Starsan to mix the same amount of solution.
                              Does this impact the price or does it come up more or less the same amount of money?

Comment

Originally posted by Mewborn View Post
                                Does this impact the price or does it come up more or less the same amount of money?

I did not make that mathematical sum yet, but since Starsan isn't easily available in SA, Im happy to stay with Acidisan

I must add tho, that my 8oz bottle of Starsan I got from the States lasted more than 5yrs

PS: Welcome to the forum Mewborn
                                JIGSAW
                                Last edited by JIGSAW; 3 December 2019, 18:37. Reason: See PS

Comment

Working...
                                X