Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice with recipe

Hi everyone

I am in the mood to brew this weekend, but I only have about 3 kg of Vienna and 3 kg of munich malt left.

It is my understanding that both of these are considered base malts, so a 50/50 batch should be fine, shouldn't it?

I have a crapload of different hops, so I can even play around with a nice hoppy beer.

Has anyone ever gone 50/50 on these malts before?

Cheers

Vienna is great. It'll do great in a 50/50 relationship with another malt, like Munich. I think the two would go great together. Would make for a great darker, malty beer if you ask me. I'd go easier on the hops to let the Vienna come through. Saaz hop if you have would be great.

But that's just my opinion.

Comment

Perfect. Thanks Toxxyc. I actually have a sealed bag of Saaz in the deep freeze.

Comment

No reason why it shouldn't work out to a good beer. I would use all of the Vienna and then just the amount of Munich required to get to your density & volume. Just my view, not sure what your capacities are.

+1 for the noble hops
        Langchop
        Last edited by Langchop; 19 July 2019, 22:41.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Agree with Mr Langchop, vienna base and some Munich, I'd go for a pilsner to shine the malt or a fruity ipa

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

50/50 Munich&Vienna, 10-15 % Caramunich II or III, 34/70 and noble hops and you have Munich Dunkel. Aim for 1.050 OG 25 IBU 30 EBC.
            Harhm
            Last edited by Harhm; 19 July 2019, 21:25.
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Also a good plan, anything under 30 IBU is just not beer...I like hops

Comment

Thanks guys.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                  50/50 Munich&Vienna, 10-15 % Caramunich II or III, 34/70 and noble hops and you have Munich Dunkel. Aim for 1.050 OG 25 IBU 30 EBC.
                  This ... Just enough hops at 60min to get the IBU's and thats it ... NO late additions

Saaz, Liberty or Hallertauer should all work.
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I love Munich, it's our go-to malt for building flavour.

half-and-half munich and vienna is a great flavour bomb, can't go wrong

Comment

The brew is on. Thanks for all the advice. It smells great. Oh by the way... Cheers[emoji482]

Comment

So what did you decide on recipe wise?

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Basically 50/50 with the Munich and Vienna. I had some crystal 60 left so I added that. For the hops Magnum for bittering and Saaz and Hallertau Hersbrucker at 30 min. Yeast is just good old US05

Comment

Working...
                          X