Closed loop chilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed loop chilling

I'm considering a closed loop water cooling system to reuse the water used for chilling (I'm reusing at the moment for other things) Distillation uses quite a bit more water than beer to keep temperatures in check. I'm thinking to get two 500l Jojo tanks and run one to the other with a pump and back when done. Has anyone attempted to throw something together yet? If so, any pointers would be great!

Edit, change of tack. I'm going to use my inline (before Cf chiller) copper coil in a ice bath with a submersible pump. Will catch the first bit of post boiling hot water for cleaning gear and recirculate after that. Ice is cheap and can be refrozen for a next brew. Bottle the used water in some spare 5l drought water containers I have spare. I'll see how this goes for distilling later. Not a completely closed loop, but will do for now, plus I have all the bits to get going.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    groenspookasem
    Banned
    Last edited by groenspookasem; 11 August 2019, 22:29.

Also consider a small industrial cooling tower if you can find some good prices.

I know nothing about distilling, but how long does you need to be cooling for with your process?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Around 700ml / minute for between 3 and 5 hours. Cooling tower.. I'm going to check that out too

Comment

Now I feel like a mother-nature exploiter. I measured my cooling water use for the first time this brew: 2.5sec to fill 1 litre.... so 360L in 15 minutes. I also need to find a more responsible way. The two tanks is a good plan, and could even be rain water.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I can bring the heating element down to around 75-80% output for distillation which will mean that less water is needed to chill for the process to happen. So the 700ml/min might drop down a bit, but if you run that for 5 hours that is still 210l of water - which is a lot to manage. Having had much fun in the drought a few years back, we are set in our ways to reduce or recycle water. My monthly consumption for a family of 4, two of those girls, still sits around 2kl pm. I still use the dehumidifier and reuse the washing machine water for flushing and still buy water for drinking/cooking. Tap water in the Cape is a bit dodge, I don't trust it

Comment

For distilling, I use a water feature pump and recirculate through the swimming pool. So 2 x tanks will work well.

For beer, I use the runoff from cooling to refill the pool. I might use the same recirculation method at some stage but I suspect I'd need a stronger pump.

Comment

I considered using the pool, but it's salt water and will kill the copper. I'll post some results, I'm doing a gumballhead clone (three floyds) this weekend

Comment

How long do you think it will take to kill the cooper using pool water.
                I have been recirculating through the chiller using the pool for about 1.5 years.
                Copper still seems fine.
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

My pool has all kinds of marine life in it, I'm also certain that I will be getting some strange looks from the neighbors

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    My pool has all kinds of marine life in it,
                    Now you need to post a picture, because we're curious!

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      My pool has all kinds of marine life in it, I'm also certain that I will be getting some strange looks from the neighbors

Its what the rest of us call a pond then!

I have heard some people will just throw the garden hose into the pool to cool the chilling water. I am guessing its basically: small tank to pump to column (or whatever you cool with distilling) to hose in pool and back into small tank.
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        Now you need to post a picture, because we're curious!
                        +1 sounds like a built in reef at home. Would love that - the urchins

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

These boys do a great job at aeration! Couldn't get the entire pool into the pic though

Comment

That's some big-ass guppies.

Comment

Lol! What a pool!

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X