Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish red ale BIAB

Ok so it's time

I've now brewed 3 blondes and with this last one I have to say I think I got the hang of my equipment now. I cannot perceive any off flavors and I adjusted the apps efficiency down to match what I achieve wich is 72%. Not bad for BIAB I think.

Back to this brew. I was looking for something more flavorful but still easy drinking. Settled on bjcp 15a. Irish red ale.
    I started looking around, didn't want to brew something untested. That's when I found this one from BYO. Thought it looked cool. Put it in to Beersmith, but it comes out a bit wonky. I attached a screen shot of that two. What do you guys think. Should I drop the abv a bit? Pick up the ibus? The screenshot doesn't show but I did include the roasted barely. Should I drop some to get in style or just trust the team at BYO?

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Bitterness is too low, style guide says 17-28 IBUs.

Grain balance looks OK. I'd maybe swop out some of the crystal for RedX or CaraRed but that's just me.

Fuggles is also acceptable in IRAs.

Comment

72% BIAB is real good. That recipe is 100% ito malt ratios but your bitterness is too low, if you copied the recipe and hops like is from BYO you need check your hop inputs in Beersmith.

I get a very balanced beer in my Beersmith with the same recipe with 72% Efficiency 22.7 litre batch size (into the fermenter) My Beersmith stats look like this 1.048 - 20 IBU - 29 EBC - 4.9% abv

I would leave the OG around 1.050 but aim for 22-25 IBU's.

The hop utilization settings in your equipment profile in beersmith need to be set at 100%
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 30 October 2019, 11:51.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Is there a blonde moment emoji somewhere? I adjusted the boil duration without increasing the grams to match.....
        I like to boil only 30 min.
        50g EKG. gets me to 18,5 ibu.
        Looks like I will have to make some subs though. Unless I want to buy 50kg of marris Otter, So Vienna it is! [emoji16]
        Will also adjust the color lighter since I'm changing it up anyway

Would like to keep it lower abv though. 1050 is a bit high for me

Thanks for the input guys

Comment

I included my elevation in my ibu calc. Changes from 17.5ibu at sea level to 13.5 in rustenburg (1170m)

What has your experience been with the elevation effect on bitterness?

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
            I included my elevation in my ibu calc. Changes from 17.5ibu at sea level to 13.5 in rustenburg (1170m)

What has your experience been with the elevation effect on bitterness?
            I cannot imagine there is any effect. IBU is a function of alpha and beta acids absorbed during the boil, not the air pressure.

Comment

It supposedly affects hop utilization.

https://beerandbrewing-com.cdn.amppr...-high-altitude

But I'm no expert. That's what the internet says. But like I told my wife once: if you Google a symptom long enough you will find out that you are dying even if it's just a runny nose.

So you've not noticed such an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                I cannot imagine there is any effect. IBU is a function of alpha and beta acids absorbed during the boil, not the air pressure.
                I agree with Jakes.

I don't include elevation in my ibu calc.- personally I think its BS

Even tough you boil at a higher temp at sea-level vs Gauteng you should get pretty much the same alpha isomerization during a 60 min boil.

Say you boil at 100C at sea level and I boil at 96 C at 1185m (96.6 is my recorded boil temp) I boil 4% cooler than you. So if you get 20 IBU's out of your AA at sea-level I will get 3.4% less IBU = 19.2 IBU's

ps. We can only distinguish a bitterness difference between 2 beer reliably when the bitterness difference is around a 5 IBU or more
                Harhm
                Last edited by Harhm; 30 October 2019, 16:24.
                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Aye, I kegged my red ale on Sunday - also my first attempt at it
                  42% Maris
                  40% Munich light
                  9% Flaked oats
                  8% Cara
                  1% Melano
                  smidge of roasted barley

Bittered
                  10.4 IBU Willamette
                  14.3 IBU EKG
                  Aroma
                  2.4 IBU Willamette
                  3.3 IBU EKG

0.64 BU:GU
                  30.4 IBU
                  28.8 EBC - so I guess it's an Irish Amber Ale :-)
                  groenspookasem
                  Banned
                  Last edited by groenspookasem; 30 October 2019, 12:43.

Comment

Cool. I never heard of melano. Wish I had before I put in my grain order. According to BYO. You need the real dark malt in there for the malt bitterness since it is generally not that hoppy. But I know you prefer your beer hoppy.

I do like the idea of an aroma addition......

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                      You and @Harhm convinced me. I'm leaving it out

Comment

So you've not noticed such an issue?

Heres some night time reading for you:

https://alchemyoverlord.wordpress.co...p-utilization/

I definitely think its a thing. I think quite notable but the theoretical numbers thrown around do seem excessive from what I typically notice.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Cool. I never heard of melano. Wish I had before I put in my grain order. According to BYO. You need the real dark malt in there for the malt bitterness since it is generally not that hoppy. But I know you prefer your beer hoppy.

I do like the idea of an aroma addition......

Melano = Melanoidin, "turbo munich" Beerguavara sells two varieties : light and normal. You know me, I like my hop-forward beer. Must admit, this is actually a tasty little ale, even with the lessened dark malts, I think I added 10g roasted barley - a true smidgeon.

Comment

Yea I read up on it when you said you had used it. Looks like a cool malt to have in your arsenal

Comment

We have a crapload of melanoidin, great for beers with light toffee notes. Altbier, IRA, etc. Even porters.

Comment

Working...
                              X