Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    I cannot imagine there is any effect. IBU is a function of alpha and beta acids absorbed during the boil, not the air pressure.
    You and @Harhm convinced me. I'm leaving it out

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post

So you've not noticed such an issue?

Heres some night time reading for you:

https://alchemyoverlord.wordpress.co...p-utilization/

I definitely think its a thing. I think quite notable but the theoretical numbers thrown around do seem excessive from what I typically notice.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Cool. I never heard of melano. Wish I had before I put in my grain order. According to BYO. You need the real dark malt in there for the malt bitterness since it is generally not that hoppy. But I know you prefer your beer hoppy.

I do like the idea of an aroma addition......

Melano = Melanoidin, "turbo munich" Beerguavara sells two varieties : light and normal. You know me, I like my hop-forward beer. Must admit, this is actually a tasty little ale, even with the lessened dark malts, I think I added 10g roasted barley - a true smidgeon.

Yea I read up on it when you said you had used it. Looks like a cool malt to have in your arsenal

We have a crapload of melanoidin, great for beers with light toffee notes. Altbier, IRA, etc. Even porters.

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Heres some night time reading for you:

https://alchemyoverlord.wordpress.co...p-utilization/

I definitely think its a thing. I think quite notable but the theoretical numbers thrown around do seem excessive from what I typically notice.
    I agree with Langchop. From my perception, I also agree that the theoretical numbers seem excessive.

https://beerandbrewing.com/ask-the-e...high-altitude/

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...high-altitude/

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=18829.0

I do not use Beersmith, I assume there is a setting for altitude.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Thanks guys I'll still read the rest but this one guy on the beersmith form from your link nails it with this statement

"IMHO, the IBU number gives us something to shoot for for consistency within our own process. The calculated number and its relationship to perceived bitterness is pretty fuzzy to begin with. When you then throw in lower boiling temperatures and higher rate of volatilization of hop oils at much higher altitudes, the relationship cannot be a simple linear function as referenced by an excerpt from "Whats Your IBU" by Michael Hall, Ph.D"

I removed the altitude setting. I prefer my bitterness lower anyway.

Ok so I went to my friend and measured out my grain over a few beers. We got to a bit of tweaking while staying with the malts he had available. Here is what we ended up with.
    What do you think?
    Still a high of, but I'm going to aim for a high mash (68) so I have a higher fg.

Had to drop the roasted barely for chocolate malt, and bring it down to only a bit more then a smidge at 60g.

I'm bringing it with the Cara though

Looks good, 12% Cara is pushing a bit, I like them at 10% max, do slot some flaked oats for mouthfeel. I'd also bring more EKG in at 5min, even if you boil 10mins longer to push ibu back, what's your bugu/rbr like? between 0.65-0.75 is good for me

This is what I would have done with what you have.
    Jannie red ale.JPG

I agree, too much Caramel for a IRA, you are in Brown Ale territory.

I also would add oats and drop the Cara I. The Cara I will be overshadowed by the Cara III rather add the Oats for mouth feel and head formation.

At this low % you can just opt for one of the 2 between C. aromatic or C. Amber. I would use the Amber to keep the colour a bit lighter.

IRA should have a roasted dryness in the finish, I like it to be restrained and would also opt for chocolate rather than roasted barley that's normally used in most IRA recipes. I would double the chocolate imo its not contributing much at 1.3%

For hops I would just go for a 60 min bittering addition.

For a IRA its best to keep it simple and balanced to make it easier to adjust it in future.
    Last edited by Harhm; 1st November 2019 at 12:22.
    I value your experience more than your opinion Time is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer