Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Ok so I tested my brew last night. Its still only at 1014 so it's not done yet. But I have an issue. A BIG issue. Remember I said the og as 1040 vs 1047 as it should have been.
    And remember I said I didn't correct for no chill. I checked after my taste test. And beersmith has the option for no chill.
    It turns out I brewed a groen spook red IPA.
    The 5min addition was above 85C for over 30min. So my final ibu is 37.4.
    COMPLETELY UNBALANCED for a IRA.
    0.93 vs 0.43.

It does not have the body to support the hops.
    Can I do something now to fix it?
    I dont have the stomach for this brew as is.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

If you Keg it you can re-brew a low ibu IRA and blend the 2 beers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I value your experience more than your opinion Time is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer

Yeah that's over the top, my IRA had 30.4 ibu and 0.64 bu:gu pretty balanced at 4.7%abv, just tastier imho. I do chill down to pitch temp in around 15-20 minutes.

you could dry hop it to bring the bitterness down, but it wont help the balance. Blend or have shandy instead

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    you could dry hop it to bring the bitterness down, but it wont help the balance.
    How does dry hopping bring the bitterness down?
    I value your experience more than your opinion Time is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer

There's a few research papers on it , Dr Tom Shellhammer, Scott Janisch and a Brulosophy experiment. I dont have the links on hand, but the effect of dry hopping on an isomerized wort/beer does have the ability to bring down ibu to some extent in an ibu range between 30and40 if I recall correctly.

The alphas are reabsorbed and aroma is released, depends on a few variables...

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

There's a few research papers on it , Dr Tom Shellhammer, Scott Janisch and a Brulosophy experiment. I dont have the links on hand, but the effect of dry hopping on an isomerized wort/beer does have the ability to bring down ibu to some extent in an ibu range between 30and40 if I recall correctly.

The alphas are reabsorbed and aroma is released, depends on a few variables...

I also read the Brulosophy exbeeriments and the Scott Janis beer studies and used to believe that dry hopping does not increase bitterness but I can tell you from my own experience that dry hopping increases the bitterness even if its only the perceived bitterness - make a cold brew hop tea, taste it and tell me its not bitter
    Last edited by Harhm; 8th November 2019 at 14:13.

If I recall correctly if your beer is over 30or40 ibu then dh can decrease bitterness if it's under then it can increase. Shellhammers work is somewhere on the hopsteiner site.

I dont doubt it can increase ibu, but it isn't straightforward. The science behind it is interesting, I'm recalling this from something I read early this year, so best to google

If I recall correctly if your beer is over 30or40 ibu then dh can decrease bitterness if it's under then it can increase. Shellhammers work is somewhere on the hopsteiner site.

I dont doubt it can increase ibu, but it isn't straightforward. The science behind it is interesting, I'm recalling this from something I read early this year, so best to google

Google smoogle, In this instance I don't care less what the web says. In my experience I can tell you that dry hopping this IRA with the intention to decrease the bitterness will not work.

@Jannieverjaar - Bottle half the batch and dryhop the rest for 4 days with 4 g/L EKG. get back to us when both beers are carbonated and ready to drink Good luck
    Last edited by Harhm; 8th November 2019 at 14:31.

Yeah, I said you "could" but perhaps Sprite is a better option

RIPA is a recognised style and is actually bloody lekker. Well done............

Unless it's completely off, no beer is a failure.