No announcement yet.

Irish red ale BIAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff. You should get close to 4% abv. Boil off is good @ 13% If I remember correctly 15% is good avg.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Harhm
    Last edited by Harhm; 2 November 2019, 17:53.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Just checked. And at 15% I would have been right on the money! I started at 30l and finished at 26. So if I started on 27 I would have finished at 23l. 1.15 of 23 is 26.5. That's close enough.

That should sort me out.

One more thing though. 66.6% efficiency.

Not to happy with that. I thought I squeezed the bag enough. Looks like I'm wrong

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you using a keggle? I get constant 5L boil off with starting boil volume of 30L with a 3 ring gas burner in a 30L keggle. Just a lite caramelization in the bottom of keggle and solid rolling boil.

Efficiancy is highly dependant on a good ensyme enviroment ie good mash pH, solid temp control and grain contact (crush size) Do you do mash pH adjustment? It helped my mash efficiancy a lot

2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

No ph adjustment yet. Will look into it. I have a big pot and a 2 ring burner, but I run it fairly low. I can turn it up, but then the flames start licking up the sides of the pot and it feels like I'm wasting gas. It's only a 30min boil though

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post

3 Fransen Street IRA is great if you can find it. Last time I had 1 was in in Clarens a few years ago
            You'll never get it again, brewery is closed. Doing Castle Zero now........

Comment

^ that was some of the better craft I tasted ... any reason they closed it ?
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                ^ that was some of the better craft I tasted ... any reason they closed it ?
                seriously? wow. The kilkenny clone was average, the cream beer was actually disgusting. Closed because the proper craft beers kicked their ass.

Comment

I hardly EVER buy craft, so I can't start an argument with you, but the IRA I tasted wasn't bad ... The reason I DONT buy craft is because of the NUMEROUS disappointments I had when I did buy ... 9/10 times its CRAP!

Thank God for homebrew! You can MAKE it like you LIKE it
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Amen

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      I hardly EVER buy craft, so I can't start an argument with you, but the IRA I tasted wasn't bad ... The reason I DONT buy craft is because of the NUMEROUS disappointments I had when I did buy ... 9/10 times its CRAP!

Thank God for homebrew! You can MAKE it like you LIKE it
                      I'm of the opinion that homebrew ruined "craft" for me. Unless it's a proper brewery that I know, I generally don't experiment anymore. Last time I did, I bought a bunch of stouts and ended up with a few "local brew" stouts from a bottle store in Potchefstroom. 2 was undrinkably unbalanced (no hops, just tasted like burned grains) and one tasted like babyvomit. I'm 99% sure I'd have enjoyed all of them pre-homebrewing. Yay. It's softer on my pocket though.

As a PS, I am enjoying massbrews again, like simple Castle Lager. I enjoy it for what it is, and for that it's good.

Comment

Ok so I tested my brew last night. Its still only at 1014 so it's not done yet. But I have an issue. A BIG issue. Remember I said the og as 1040 vs 1047 as it should have been.
                        And remember I said I didn't correct for no chill. I checked after my taste test. And beersmith has the option for no chill.
                        It turns out I brewed a groen spook red IPA.
                        The 5min addition was above 85C for over 30min. So my final ibu is 37.4.
                        COMPLETELY UNBALANCED for a IRA.
                        0.93 vs 0.43.

It does not have the body to support the hops.
                        Can I do something now to fix it?
                        I dont have the stomach for this brew as is.

Comment

If you Keg it you can re-brew a low ibu IRA and blend the 2 beers.

Comment

Yeah that's over the top, my IRA had 30.4 ibu and 0.64 bu:gu pretty balanced at 4.7%abv, just tastier imho. I do chill down to pitch temp in around 15-20 minutes.

you could dry hop it to bring the bitterness down, but it wont help the balance. Blend or have shandy instead

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                              you could dry hop it to bring the bitterness down, but it wont help the balance.
                              How does dry hopping bring the bitterness down?

Comment

There's a few research papers on it , Dr Tom Shellhammer, Scott Janisch and a Brulosophy experiment. I dont have the links on hand, but the effect of dry hopping on an isomerized wort/beer does have the ability to bring down ibu to some extent in an ibu range between 30and40 if I recall correctly.

The alphas are reabsorbed and aroma is released, depends on a few variables...

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X