X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
    Heres some night time reading for you:

https://alchemyoverlord.wordpress.co...p-utilization/

I definitely think its a thing. I think quite notable but the theoretical numbers thrown around do seem excessive from what I typically notice.
    I agree with Langchop. From my perception, I also agree that the theoretical numbers seem excessive.

https://beerandbrewing.com/ask-the-e...high-altitude/

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...high-altitude/

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=18829.0

I do not use Beersmith, I assume there is a setting for altitude.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Thanks guys I'll still read the rest but this one guy on the beersmith form from your link nails it with this statement

"IMHO, the IBU number gives us something to shoot for for consistency within our own process. The calculated number and its relationship to perceived bitterness is pretty fuzzy to begin with. When you then throw in lower boiling temperatures and higher rate of volatilization of hop oils at much higher altitudes, the relationship cannot be a simple linear function as referenced by an excerpt from "Whats Your IBU" by Michael Hall, Ph.D"

I removed the altitude setting. I prefer my bitterness lower anyway.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok so I went to my friend and measured out my grain over a few beers. We got to a bit of tweaking while staying with the malts he had available. Here is what we ended up with.
        What do you think?
        Still a high of, but I'm going to aim for a high mash (68) so I have a higher fg.

Had to drop the roasted barely for chocolate malt, and bring it down to only a bit more then a smidge at 60g.

I'm bringing it with the Cara though

Comment

Looks good, 12% Cara is pushing a bit, I like them at 10% max, do slot some flaked oats for mouthfeel. I'd also bring more EKG in at 5min, even if you boil 10mins longer to push ibu back, what's your bugu/rbr like? between 0.65-0.75 is good for me

Comment

This is what I would have done with what you have.
            Jannie red ale.JPG

I agree, too much Caramel for a IRA, you are in Brown Ale territory.

I also would add oats and drop the Cara I. The Cara I will be overshadowed by the Cara III rather add the Oats for mouth feel and head formation.

At this low % you can just opt for one of the 2 between C. aromatic or C. Amber. I would use the Amber to keep the colour a bit lighter.

IRA should have a roasted dryness in the finish, I like it to be restrained and would also opt for chocolate rather than roasted barley that's normally used in most IRA recipes. I would double the chocolate imo its not contributing much at 1.3%

For hops I would just go for a 60 min bittering addition.

For a IRA its best to keep it simple and balanced to make it easier to adjust it in future.
            Harhm
            Last edited by Harhm; 1 November 2019, 12:22.
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Got a bu.gu chart of the internet that said I should be at 0.43 so I matched that.
              Probably should have stuck with 10% cara.
              And maybe dropped the Munich 3 made up the difference with a bit more chocolate and some lighter malt. Didn't think of adding oats. Thought the cara would take care of that job, but they mostly do head retention not mouth feel.....
              Reason for the small amount of ekg at the end is that was what was left in the bag after the 30min add was calculated to match the bu.gu I was aiming for.

Grain is sitting and waiting for tonight. I'm going to do an evening brew

Ps. Groen, what ratio is that?

Comment

I didn't follow bjcp at all. My sweet spot for IBU is 30-35 anything below that is a colddrink, but bugu is more important, it's all about balance. The irish (amber) ale has a bugu of 0.64, ibu of 30.4.
                I did use 100g hops in total and pushed my boil to 45min (with the first 5min being the hotbreak) to eek out some more bitterness out of the small "bittering" charge. I added 25/25 ekg and willamette at 40min and 25/25 of the same at 5min.

For most ale's I have a small bittering with large 5min addition. I invert this for Pilsner, large bittering, tiny 10-20g total at 5min.
                I like hoppy but balanced beers

Comment

30~35 IBUs might be a tad high for an Irish Red Ale. My favourite IRAs to date have all actually had pretty low IBUs. Around 20 is where the malt shines for me, but then again, it's your beer and your taste, so enjoy it!

Comment

It certainly is high for an IRA ! I had a kilkenny recently and it was pretty disappointing on both malt and hop taste, I recalled that I used to enjoy them back in the day, although I think they're not imported anymore? Anyway, I thought I'd make one to my preferences and it's a pretty decent effort, not enough color for sure, but the taste is certainly there. Nitro would have kicked it up even more, but I'm happy with it. They beauty for me in large 5min additions is that your hop shines bright, not overly bitter just a hoppy stroke to the heart.

Comment

*cough* I don't like Kilkenny either *cough*

Gilroy's Brewery makes a nice IRA. A bit low on the carbonation, which I'm not entirely opposed to, but he went a bit far. Nice and dry though.

Comment

Altough mentioned in BJCP Kilkenny is not a IRA but a Cream ale. Imo its closer to a Mild than a IRA.

If you are into session beers and like malty beers a Mild is a great style to brew

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

[QUOTE=Harhm;23968]This is what I would have done with what you have

Interesting that you would add nutrients. Doesn't Vienna cover that?

Comment

Last time I had a kilkenny I have to say I didn't find is bad at all. Quite en enjoyed it actually. But it's my only taste of the style and compared to the "SAB swill" to quote someone from the form..... its amazing

Comment

Yes you are covered.

I normaly add yeast nutrient when it is a re-pitch yeast harvested from a previous batch. (I copied and modified my last IRA recipe)

3 Fransen Street IRA is great if you can find it. Last time I had 1 was in in Clarens a few years ago

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                              Harhm
                              Last edited by Harhm; 2 November 2019, 16:50.

Comment

I'll keep that in mind thanks. Just pitched at 22c cooling to 19C. Had a taste, really bitter. Will still check I think I didn't adjust for no chill.....

There's that and I overestimated my boil off rate again. Started with 30l ended with 26.
                                Og is 1040 and not 1047 due to the extra 3l of water but I think I prefer it weaker anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X