Top crop lager yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top crop lager yeast

Has anyone tried it? I know it's a bottom fermenter, but catching it at high Krausen and propagating? I'm going to give it a bash with some 34/70. Great success with kveiks, but they generally are happy with an under pitch.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if it's totally smart. Top cropping during high krauzen means you're reducing the colony size drastically in the critical parts of the fermentation. Considering you are supposed to pitch more lager yeast than ale and Kveiks already, it seems counter-productive to take some of the colony off at the start.

I just harvest and wash like normal ale yeasts. Works well for me, and what I like about it is that there's a nice cake at the bottom of the fermenter after the ferment, so I don't have to "harvest" as much. I simply swirl the last bit of beer in the fermenter into the yeast and pour into a jar, then wash from there.

Comment

It's a bottom fermenter, the amount of yeast cropped would be negligible compared to what's at the bottom and high krausen is would mean that it's at it's healthiest phase.

Yeast multiplies during fermentation, not as actively as in a starter, but I'm thinking the cropped but would be replaced without any negative effect.I'm not too worried about it, at most it's delays target attenuation.

Valid points nonetheless, I need to crack open my yeast research...

Comment

Sounds like both methods are fine, Not that they mention Lager yeast per say, but Im sure you'll be fine ....

Harvesting and Storing Kveik Yeast

The best thing about Kveik is that it can easily be harvested, stored and reused, without having to worry so much about cleaning it. Traditionally, Norwegian brewers would use a wooden Kveik stick or a Kveik ring, rolled in the yeast slurry or foam, and left to dry, in order to harvest it. You can harvest from the top by scooping up the foam on day 2 of fermentation, or from the bottom by collecting the slurry.
        Normally, the slurry can be kept in a glass jar in the fridge for up to a year, ready to use again whenever you need it. Just be careful that the sugars have been fully fermented and check the pressure in the jar periodically, as many Kveik strains continue to slowly ferment even in the fridge. If left unchecked, the pressure can build up and jars may explode.
        If you want to dry your Kveik, smear some slurry onto a sheet of baking paper, and place into an oven, with warm air (around 30℃) circulating. Keep the door ajar and wait until the Kveik has transformed into a hard crust. Then, simply scrape the flakes into a ziplock bag and store in the freezer until needed. In this way, you can safely store your Kveik for in excess of 20 years.
        LINK
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

We brewed a Kveik based ale this weekend at Africa Brew: brewed on Friday, drank it on Sunday.

Comment

I've been using kveik for a while now, I've imported most and have a pseudo lager strain enroute. It does make an aley lager, hence the fallback to 34/70 until my new batch arrives. The top crop thereof seems to be working, did it last night and nice krausen on the stir plate. The fermentor is still happily bubbling away.

Comment

Working...
            X