Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha thanks guys, I'll do the gravity measurement this afternoon :P

Comment

OK, gravity is at 1.009. That's pretty much done. It also puts me dead on 3% ABV, which is what I aimed for. I obviously tasted from the hydrometer tube, and, well, I drank the rest of it as well. It's definitely a little on the hoppy side, but it's not overwhelming. It's actually pretty nice, even uncarbonated and at 20°C. It tastes like a hoppier Windhoek Light. I love it. I think with some lagering and bottle conditioning the bitterness might fade a little bit, putting it more in balance, but it's definitely not as bad as I thought it might be after Harhm's post. I would drink this all day long, actually.

I also set the fridge to 1°C this morning so it can cold crash, hopefully get all the sediment out of solution quickly. It's very, very cloudy. Will rack this one into a cube and fine in there before bottling. I've now seen the difference between bottling a clear brew and a cloudy brew. Clear leaves you with a LOT more breathing space when it comes to pouring, and I like that.

Comment

Shme... you should have just live on the edge a little and not measured . Ayyyye peer pressure!

Did you add gelatine to this one?

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        I've now seen the difference between bottling a clear brew and a cloudy brew. Clear leaves you with a LOT more breathing space when it comes to pouring, and I like that.
        What do you mean here?
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I haven't fined this one yet, no. I'll fine it after cold crashing to see how clear that S189 drops on it's own. Apparently it is HIGHLY flocculant, so we'll see.

What I mean is that a clear brew leaves a lot less sediment in the bottle, which means you can pour quicker and easier, and more, without ending up with bits and bobs in your glass

Comment

without ending up with bits and bobs in your glass
            Ahhhh. Gotcha.
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I think with some lagering and bottle conditioning the bitterness might fade a little bit, putting it more in balance, but it's definitely not as bad as I thought it might be after Harhm's post.
              Lagering and bottle conditioning will not decrease the bitterness the isomerised IBU''s are there to stay, in addition the carbonation will increase the perceived bitterness so your unbalanced beer will become even more unbalanced.

Think of it this way, you bitterd it the same way as you would bitter a IPA. Even tough I don't like to use the IBU:OG ratio as a important indicator of "balanced bitterness" 1.0 BU:GU ratio in this case is just too far out of proportion regardless if you don't mind it not being to style

I am sorry to tell you but your beer is overly bitter and totally out of balance no matter how much you tell yourself or us how great it is.
              Harhm
              Last edited by Harhm; 11 December 2019, 11:21.
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Yeah I looked at that IBU:OG ratio after seeing some more info on it on YouTube, and saw I'm way off. As long as it's good for me, that's fine. I'm the one drinking it, for the most part.

Comment

So the father-in-law is getting the next batch then
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Maaannn I should have kept my biscuit starch sauce brew. Would have blended well with yours to balance the bugu's
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      So the father-in-law is getting the next batch then
                      I actually think he'll like it. We'll see.

Comment

OK so the unbalanced monstrosity I just couldn't dump. So I figured it's a bit bitter, and what else is a bit bitter? An IPA. And since this was done with U1/108, the "Southern Tropical" as they're calling it now, I figured I'll just dry hop it.

So I did.

I dry hopped it with a small amount of the same U1/108 hops. Smaller than usual for an IPA because I don't have the grain bill to back it up. I don't remember the amount, but it was around 35g or something of that hops for the batch.

I then also lagered it for a month at 2°C. Bottled, and it's sat untouched for almost 2 months. I then chilled a few, and, well, it's really not bad. I'm kinda flying through these as they are light, hoppy and fresh, with a definite tropical flavour. Almost tastes like a fruit beer, made with passion fruit and guava. I honestly think it could have gone worse, and I'm so impressed with this that I think I'll make it again:

Comment

Looks Good

As long as you're happy with your own brews, I think that That is all that matters
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            Looks Good

As long as you're happy with your own brews, I think that That is all that matters
                            yep, brew the stuff you like, bugger the rest

Comment

Yeah I like that approach. I'm finding more and more that the beers I want and like are overlapping between different styles anyway, so the rules aren't "for me". This beer is a perfect example. There's nothing I have found that does the same, yet it's tasty and pretty cheap to brew. I didn't have a ~300g hop bill for this brew, yet it tastes a lot like an IPA. And it's light, which I wanted.

Comment

Fully agree, I brewed a bunch of ipa and apa, now i find them quite meh, my hop heavy hand has grown light. I absolutely love pilsners and english ales right now, but made a malt forward munich dunkel, had a sneaky taste after top cropping ( skare) and its magnificent.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X