X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home malting

Hi,

Has anyone tried making malt at home?

I read the book Brew Beer like a Yeti by Jereme Zimmerman and it describes how to easily make malt at home. And it got me very curious.
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Nee wat, vir sulke kak het pappie nie tyd nie
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Unless you have access to cheap or free unmalted barley, I don't see the reason beyond bragging rights.

Comment

Smoking your malted grains can be done, I haven't tried it yet, but can imagine my kamado doing a great job on it

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
          Unless you have access to cheap or free unmalted barley, I don't see the reason beyond bragging rights.
          In this case I have access to free unmalted barley...

Comment

Nice, have you tried it yet? I'm sure it's not too difficult, keen to hear your results

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

OK, try this: "Malts and Malting", Dennis Briggs.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3794...-Dennis-Briggs

James from Rocklands Brewery does his own. If you're on a farm, and have access to a large shed for malting, as well as a large cement area for drying, then I'd say go for it. (Ek neem aan jy is op 'n plaas in Boshof......)

Smoking: easily done on an open fire or in a smoker. I've done a chesa nyama rauchbier as a fun project.

Comment

If you want to malt your own thats probably quite a rigmarol really.

Roasting some specialty malt variants on the other hand should be quite easy and fun, and may be a good starting point.
                I tried that on one small experimental batch and it was quite fun, and drinkable, but didnt even try and follow a recipe of specific different malts.

Let us know how things go
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Roasted my own malt and made what is more or less equivalent to Cara Munich III a while back as I had run out and the closest LHBS is 120 km away.
                  Worked great.

Instead of soaking my grians for several hours to a day, I mashed them whole (no crushing) for an hour.

http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/0...ng-your-malts/

https://winningbeers.com/how-to-roast-grains-at-home

https://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/...technique.html
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I have the space ect (Ek is, alhoewel mense baie keer Boshof as een groot plaas opstal beskryf)
                    Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                    OK, try this: "Malts and Malting", Dennis Briggs.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3794...-Dennis-Briggs

James from Rocklands Brewery does his own. If you're on a farm, and have access to a large shed for malting, as well as a large cement area for drying, then I'd say go for it. (Ek neem aan jy is op 'n plaas in Boshof......)

Smoking: easily done on an open fire or in a smoker. I've done a chesa nyama rauchbier as a fun project.

Comment

PS: the articles I posted you soak grains and then place in oven at about 70C for 2 to 3 hours for enzymatic activity, converting into soluble (fermentable) sugars.

The same can be acheived by mashing for an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                        PS: the articles I posted you soak grains and then place in oven at about 70C for 2 to 3 hours for enzymatic activity, converting into soluble (fermentable) sugars.

The same can be acheived by mashing for an hour.
                        Same taste and colour effect on the finished beer?

Comment

Yes. Both acheive the same end result, just different processes.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                            Same taste and colour effect on the finished beer?
                            Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                            Yes. Both acheive the same end result, just different processes.
                            same result as long as you keep the malt under 70degC and keep it moist............

There is a Polish farmhouse process where they put the mash in a cool oven over night. This then gets sparged the next morning.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
                              With the lockdown I've been trying. When I use about 40% more of the homemade malt than what is used with store bought I get about the same numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X