Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icing sugar?

Hi,

I ran out of dextrose, anyone ever use icing sugar to bottle? The only other sugar in the house is brown sugar.
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

I've used brown sugar, worked well enough.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Icing sugar is just finely ground normal sugar. I've used white sugar for bottling many times. - Just make sure you work on weight not volume or you'll end up with bottle bombs.

Comment

No taste difference?
        Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        I've used brown sugar, worked well enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I appreciate!
        Originally posted by camsaway View Post
        Icing sugar is just finely ground normal sugar. I've used white sugar for bottling many times. - Just make sure you work on weight not volume or you'll end up with bottle bombs.
        Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
        Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Worked in favor of the english ale actually

Comment

I've used white and brown sugar plenty times after I decided dextrose is way overprices when bought from a LHBS

Does the same job
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I currently use DME for bottling as I think it produces a finer head. But I exclusively used brown sugar as I dont buy white. I considered it less refined until I realized that it's also white sugar but then some molasses is added back to ensure perfect consistency in color. But that's not what you asked.
              Brown works great. I didn't pick up any taste issues

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Brown's taste is "deeper" for me, so to speak. I rarely use white sugar, but it'll work for carbonation. Icing sugar as well. Icing sugar is just superfine white sugar, as I have it. It'll work just fine.

Comment

You will never taste the difference between 3g brown sugar vs. 3g white sugar in a 440 ml beer

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
                  2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Guess I'm special then, did a brown and white sugar side by side, the white was drier the brown a bit more caramelly. This was on a Pilsner so no dark grains to hide behind.

Comment

I see an icing sugar, brown sugar side by side coming on!

Comment

I can taste the difference between white, brown and several different artificial sweeteners in my 500ml mug of coffee every morning, and it's not just the sweetness that differs. I agree with greenghostbreath, must be special then. A side-by-side sounds like a great plan. I don't have icing sugar at home, but I'll bottle three small bottles of my upcoming stout with dextrose, brown sugar and white sugar, and then do a comparison.

Comment

I'm with harham on this one guys. My taste buds are numbed from years of coffee I think. Maybe it was the sambuca in varsity I dont know but I have trouble distinguishing minute differences. I will be bottling my red on Monday so I'll do a side by side of. Brown. Caster. Icing and DME. But I'll probably see more of a difference then taste.

Comment

Dont waist your time with this in your beer rather split a batch to test something significant like using 2 different types of yeast where you will actually learn something.

If you dont believe me just disolve 7g brown sugar and 7g white sugar in 1 liter water each, do a blind taste test, let somebody serve it to you in a coffee mug without knowing the type of sugar, don't look at the color. Taste the difference and ask yourself if you would taste that difference in your beer.

Now take the sugar water samples and carbonate it and taste it again, tell me then if you will still taste the difference in a beer

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

7g in a litre, or 5g in 440ml? [emoji1787]

Comment

Working...
                              X