Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 95
  1. #1

    Question Beginner brew advice


    Hi Guys, First time poster here (but long-ish time lurker) and I was hoping for some advice. I've done one extract brew about 2 years ago. I used the NFP Premium Ale kit and had a bit of a weird and lengthy fermentation as a cold front had just rolled in shortly after brew day. The beer came out with what I now know to be the dreaded LME twang that extracts are infamous for, as well as some other off flavours. This put me off for a bit and as it stands, I currently still have a few bottles left in the cupboard.My girlfriend got me a Coopers Macho Macchiato Stout kit through Beerlab recently which I am quite excited to brew this week. However, I am also planning my next brew in the meantime and I'm considering going for an IPA style.I want to re-create the following recipe (http://www.cellardweller.net/index.p...ct-concentrate). I was hoping to cut down on costs and get everything through NFP seeing as they have now re-opened during the lockdown. Would it be possible for me to switch out the Coopers Australian Pale Ale brew can for the NFP Premium Bitter kit?I'm a bit hesitant after the very off tasting beer the NFP kit produced last time, but I don't want to rule them out purely because it could have been entirely my fault as a newcomer to homebrewing.If anyone has any advice or any personal experience with the NFP extract kits, I would greatly appreciate it Also, I apologize for the formatting of my post. I can't figure out how to add line breaks
    Last edited by HoboSpit; 4th May 2020 at 02:44. Reason: Formatting

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,168
    Hey man, welcome! I've never brewed with NFP products and I didn't know they were open, but for the most part, that twang comes from LME that's been sitting in the can for too long. My first two brews were with OLD cans (both long expired). One had none of that twang, and the other one was just fine. It's hit-and-miss. I've also had twang from pretty fresh cans before, so I have no idea how "accurate" that statement about the age is.

    I'd say go for it. Do you perhaps know how to order from them? Via email only?

  3. #3
    NFP kits don't sell as fast as the other kits do, which is funny as they are a bit cheaper. The LME in their kits tend to be a bit on the dark side. That said I've brewed quite a few batches with the NFP kit and more often than not you get a decent beer out of the deal, it might be closer to amber than pale in colour but nothing wrong with the taste.

    If you can order what you can. I'm not sure how long an Homebrew store will have stock, and I don't think our lovely Government will allow them restock if they have any say at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoboSpit View Post
    Hi Guys, First time poster here (but long-ish time lurker) and I was hoping for some advice. I've done one extract brew about 2 years ago. I used the NFP Premium Ale kit and had a bit of a weird and lengthy fermentation as a cold front had just rolled in shortly after brew day. The beer came out with what I now know to be the dreaded LME twang that extracts are infamous for, as well as some other off flavours. This put me off for a bit and as it stands, I currently still have a few bottles left in the cupboard.My girlfriend got me a Coopers Macho Macchiato Stout kit through Beerlab recently which I am quite excited to brew this week. However, I am also planning my next brew in the meantime and I'm considering going for an IPA style.I want to re-create the following recipe (http://www.cellardweller.net/index.p...ct-concentrate). I was hoping to cut down on costs and get everything through NFP seeing as they have now re-opened during the lockdown. Would it be possible for me to switch out the Coopers Australian Pale Ale brew can for the NFP Premium Bitter kit?I'm a bit hesitant after the very off tasting beer the NFP kit produced last time, but I don't want to rule them out purely because it could have been entirely my fault as a newcomer to homebrewing.If anyone has any advice or any personal experience with the NFP extract kits, I would greatly appreciate it Also, I apologize for the formatting of my post. I can't figure out how to add line breaks
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Hey man, welcome! I've never brewed with NFP products and I didn't know they were open, but for the most part, that twang comes from LME that's been sitting in the can for too long. My first two brews were with OLD cans (both long expired). One had none of that twang, and the other one was just fine. It's hit-and-miss. I've also had twang from pretty fresh cans before, so I have no idea how "accurate" that statement about the age is.

    I'd say go for it. Do you perhaps know how to order from them? Via email only?
    Email yes. They also have a form you fill in.
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

  5. #5
    Senior Member JIGSAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,806
    @HoboSpit Welcome to the forum

    unfortunately i can't advise on the NFP kits.
    One question tho, is the Premium bitter the closes kit from them to an Ale substitute ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!


  6. #6
    I dit 2x kits and then decided to take my 3rd kit and do a partial mash. Or what they call a kit and kilo in some of the forms. To me that completely changed it and turned it into an excellent beer. All you need is like 500g of speciality malts and you are in.

    Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member JIGSAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,806
    Kit & Kilo is actually ..... the Tin + 1Kg Dextrose/DME (or a mix of the 2 powders) hence the name
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!


  8. #8
    Oops I missed that one. Thanks Jig!
    The partial mash will still work though. just mash some Munich malt. 500g on 1l water. For 45min Pour into the fermenter with that pale bitter and you should have something resembling a blonde. You could also add some cara Munich 2 or 3 depending on your taste. OOOOO add 300g melanoiden and turn it into an amber ale. Might even get to red depending how "pale" the kit is.


    Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Hey man, welcome! I've never brewed with NFP products and I didn't know they were open, but for the most part, that twang comes from LME that's been sitting in the can for too long. My first two brews were with OLD cans (both long expired). One had none of that twang, and the other one was just fine. It's hit-and-miss. I've also had twang from pretty fresh cans before, so I have no idea how "accurate" that statement about the age is.

    I'd say go for it. Do you perhaps know how to order from them? Via email only?
    Hi Toxxyc, thanks man!

    Yeah through all the reading I've done it seems like everyone attributes the twang to different issues. I've heard a lot of advice to not boil the LME at all and rather add it during flame out or just straight into the fermenter which is what I think I'm going to do this time. As well as not leave the can to sit for too long haha.

    Yeah the ordering through NFP is done with a pdf and an email currently, and then collected curbside from their store. I'm opting to get a second fermenting bucket as well so I can try racking to secondary to bulk add my priming sugars, or potentially brew 2 beers at once. Can't be too sure during this lockdown period really.

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    NFP kits don't sell as fast as the other kits do, which is funny as they are a bit cheaper. The LME in their kits tend to be a bit on the dark side. That said I've brewed quite a few batches with the NFP kit and more often than not you get a decent beer out of the deal, it might be closer to amber than pale in colour but nothing wrong with the taste.

    If you can order what you can. I'm not sure how long an Homebrew store will have stock, and I don't think our lovely Government will allow them restock if they have any say at all.
    Thanks for the advice Andreas!

    I'm going to ask them more or less when their current kits will expire when I place my order, as I intend to space out the next 2 brews or so. Which of their kits have you used before? I'm considering getting an extra ale kit to try redeem myself after the last one, but might add some hops and DME to boost it up a little.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •