Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

water, or still juice. [QUOTE=Were the 500ml bottles from water or soft drink? I'll definitely be popping them in the back of a cupboard until they go in the fridge. The smallest I could find were 1.5L. I guess it's just another excuse to have 3 pints instead of just 1 [/QUOTE]
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Hey Guys!

So just an update. I took a SG reading on my stout today and it's sitting at 1022 after 7 days. So it's still got about another 8 - 14 points to go. The bubbles halted about 3 days back already, so hopefully it all cleans up nicely and ferments a bit more in the next 7 days.

Tomorrow I'm brewing my partial mash IPA and I'm super amped. I just had a quick question about dry hopping though. Should I dry hop in the primary during active fermentation? Or should I add it in after the first week? Rack it to secondary after a week and then dry hop? I'm still unsure about what would work best or come out cleaner. Super excited though!

This is what I do. Dry hop on day 3 basically
    http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/23/bio...iment-results/

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

I dry hop during secondary fermentation. i.e. when I rack to the secondary fermenter. I dry hop for 3 to 4 days.
    There is no said correct method, many dry hop after secondary fermentation.

https://learn.kegerator.com/dry-hopping/
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

If I dry hop, and that has happened in a long time, I do it in primary after fermentation is complete and if using kveik on high temp - that's 3 days in. Secondary which I don't do anymore, is great for fruit additions etc.

Thanks for the hopping advice guys!

I'll keep it all in mind when day 7 comes up and I do a hydrometer reading. Haven't decided on whether I'll be doing secondary or not yet.

However I am a bit bleak today as it is day 14 in the primary for my stout so I gave it another test and all the wonderful flavours (coffee and chocolate) that were there a few days ago are now gone and have been replaced with sour notes and there is white and black gritty sediment and flakes that have formed (which taste almost woody). My fermentation got stuck at 1022 after the first week (OG of 1044) and I followed some advice of pitching an extra 1g of yeast and giving the bucket a shake. The gravity is still at 1022 and I think I have infected the batch as well. Very sad day indeed.

Post a photo
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by HoboSpit View Post
    Thanks for the hopping advice guys!

I'll keep it all in mind when day 7 comes up and I do a hydrometer reading. Haven't decided on whether I'll be doing secondary or not yet.

However I am a bit bleak today as it is day 14 in the primary for my stout so I gave it another test and all the wonderful flavours (coffee and chocolate) that were there a few days ago are now gone and have been replaced with sour notes and there is white and black gritty sediment and flakes that have formed (which taste almost woody). My fermentation got stuck at 1022 after the first week (OG of 1044) and I followed some advice of pitching an extra 1g of yeast and giving the bucket a shake. The gravity is still at 1022 and I think I have infected the batch as well. Very sad day indeed.
    Relax. I don't know why, but my stouts generally get a "white layer" on top. They've all been fine, including the one I'm drinking now. It's the only beer that gets this, and it's also the only beer I make with lactose, so I think it has something to do with that. Anyway, unless the beer tastes bad, bottled it and drink it.

PS: What stout are you making? Dry? Sweet? With lactose? Those sort of questions are interesting and help to pinpoint possible problems.

Unfortunately it's not a white layer on top or anything like that. It's big chunks that clump together on the bottom after a pour (definitely not yeast). Maybe it is the lactose as it's the first time I'm using it. But I didn't get any of these chunks before I tried to 'unstuck' the fermentation the other day. If it weren't for the huge change in taste with no movement in gravity I wouldn't be quite as stressed. This is the recipe - https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/ma...ato-stout.html

I will post a picture tomorrow if you guys will be kind enough to weigh in

"Huge change in taste" could indicate an infection. Pictures would be best, yeah!