List of online LHBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://beerguevara.com/product/15l-...eton-easy-ale/

this would work if you want to get started with all grain right off the bat. otherwise if you are keen on kit and kilo type vibes then beerlab has the coopers starter kit in stock.

https://www.beerlab.co.za/collection...rew-kit-bucket

if you want to get started with a can and kilo type setup

Comment

Originally posted by Kgalagadi View Post
      Anyone know where I'll be able to find stock of the Mangrove Jack's starter brewery kit or something very similar? It seams to be a very well balanced kit for getting started.
      It's pretty much only Brewcraft that stock MJ's and they've been offline for months now.
      Go with @Jitters recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post

this would work if you want to get started with all grain right off the bat. otherwise if you are keen on kit and kilo type vibes then beerlab has the coopers starter kit in stock.

https://www.beerlab.co.za/collection...rew-kit-bucket

if you want to get started with a can and kilo type setup

Thanks, think I'm going to jump in to the deep end and start with all grain off the bat.
        If you see how I drink, you'll understand my username.
        I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.

Comment

Originally posted by Kgalagadi View Post
          Thanks, think I'm going to jump in to the deep end and start with all grain off the bat.
          the best way to do it, i also started with all grain and to date haven't tasted a powdered beer

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            the best way to do it, i also started with all grain and to date haven't tasted a powdered beer

Ha, those that come in a packet and you mix water. Mmm reminds me of powder milk.
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
              Ha, those that come in a packet and you mix water. Mmm reminds me of powder milk.
              Don't mok it. There have been many people who have won awards with extract brews.

I don't think all grain is necessarily better but definitly provides for more variety (but way more effort)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Problem I find with starter kits are that they are too small - 10litres batches?
                Especially for all grain which takes a bit of time from start to finish - double 3x 4x the size batches don't take that much longer than a small batch. It's the heating of water that makes up the time difference.

I started off with making 15litre batches and now I'm making 3x that amount in the same amount of time.
                If making beer is what you like then buying a starter kit will end up collecting dust as you'll be buying larger vessels soon after. Anyway.. my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post

this would work if you want to get started with all grain right off the bat
                  Concur, this is a nice starter kit which I started with, however, I would get one of their other recipes. This “Easy Ale” is easily the worst beer that I have brewed in my brief career. Their other recipes are much better, and are available with the same equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
                    Don't mok it. There have been many people who have won awards with extract brews.

I don't think all grain is necessarily better but definitly provides for more variety (but way more effort)

that speaks volumes, but not in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post

Oh believe me, It's definitely better and those that differ is just in it for the 'Buzz'
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Maybe the new kits are superfantastic but i started with kits and AG is a big improvement. Life changing

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                          Maybe the new kits are superfantastic but i started with kits and AG is a big improvement. Life changing

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Agreed, chalk and cheese experience

Comment

Think the big issue is the DME we get in SA. it's locally produced and mashed at a higher temp so has more unfermentables, it's not really meant for beer, I think if you could pick up some proper fresh DME/LME from some of the big Maltsters it would be a different story.

Comment

But what about the kits that come from across the pond ... they're just as bad.

If you want to stick to brewing kits, then stick to the darker brews ... less change of picking up how bad it is

For the lighter ones you have to either add some hops, specialty malt, or a mix of both to turn a bad kit beer into something palatable and enjoyable
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yeah I second Jigsaw's view. Dark brews are OK out of the kits. In fact, I made a kickass stout a while back, from a kit. I modded it with cocoa and coffee, but it was pretty damn great.

Comment

Working...
                                X