BIAB - How much trub do you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIAB - How much trub do you get?

I seem to get a lot of trub in my primary, was getting 2,5 - 3 cm. Have changed my grain bag material, coarser crush, sieve through grain bag material and I still get an instant 1 - 1,5 cm.

Is this normal, what else can I try?
    "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

This is about my norm, after filtering through a voil filter, which is quite fine, and takes about 40 minutes to filter 18l. I have read that some people just allow the trub to settle out for about 6 hours in a bucket, then rack to the primary and pitch.

I will probably try this, and avoid the filtration and see what happens.

The only real alternative in my mind is whirlpooling, but Faan can comment.
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

RESURRECTION!
      This was the closest thread I could find.
      Ok so I use the BIAB method. On my previous batches I had about 3l of trub in the kettle and another 2l in the fermenter. This last time I decided to pour the entire contents of the kettle in the fermenter. Cold crushed the beer after fermentation and ended with 2.5l trub. Thats half! I really like the idea but dont know if I'm opening myself up for other issues

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually use a hop bag in the 'kettle' and land up with 1 to 1.5l sediment in the fermenter. Frankly, you probably lose more beer by pulling out the hops with absorbed beer.

My last batch I threw everything in and took nothing out, until leaving sediment in the fermenter. Still got about 1.5L of sediment (it was only single bittering hopped with 27g)

I think the sediment had more chance to 'compact'in the fermenter and make recovery more efficient

Might be worth experimenting with different crush size or grain bag?
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Maybe I should go kant gordyn "voile " shopping and not just use the old stash my wife had. But tbh. After letting it drop out it was so solid I dont think I lost much beer. I'm just worried I missed something and it absorbs hop flavor or something

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Honestly, a BIAB bag is so cheap, I'd just buy one. You're going to buy voile at R70 per meter anyway and then you have to seam it and sew it and all that. Just buy a massive grain bag?

Comment

^ It depends on you equipment Toxxyc

A random bag would not work for me due to my keggle ... the top opening is smaller than the inside of the keggle.

DSCF2765.JPG

Back in the day it was also cheaper to make them than buy one as you could only find one across the pond.

so, I prefer a truncated bag and made mine following this

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yo people getting fancy with their bags... I guess it makes sense. For a starter bag though I would honestly spend that R60 or so just for a bag. Mine's double-stitched and pretty solid. I don't think my home-quality sewing skills will last when the bag contains 10kg of wet grains...

Comment

Jeepers Jigsaw. That's complicating a brew bag! But definately a nicer final product than a 'pocket' type. It does make things less cumbersome having a bag that custom fits nicely. I just did mine as a foldover 'pocket' to have as few seams as possible.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I made myself 3 back in 2013 ....

I use double bags on brewday just to be safe ... works great

Inside look
                    DSCF2767.JPG
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

It looks so comfy...

Comment

Working...
                      X