This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Have you found a link between clearer wort and clearer end-product beer, or is it just something "on the internet"? I see some people still swear by it, but I've also seen a Brulosophy test where the guy brewed with a clean wort as well as a very cloudy wort and they both produced a clear beer.

I'm asking because I've found that when I do no-chill and I add Irish moss (I have some on hand) to the last 15 minutes of the boil, the wort I end up with in the cube the next day (after it's cooled down) is pretty clear and the sediment at the bottom is a bit more compact then when I don't use Irish moss (so the Irish moss works for that, at least). I don't know if it'll be worth it to try and keep that sediment out of the fermenter though, but would like to know if it could be, if that makes sense?
    Clear wort into the fermenter alone definitely does not guarantee clear beer, but its does play a part (even if it is only a small part) in the bigger process to have crystal clear beer at the end of the day.

Trying to leave all the trub in the kettle behind without losing too much wort is difficult as is and not worth the trouble, the same goes for trub in the cube (kettle trub is also not proven to be bad for fermentation) My advice would be not to worry about separating the trub from the wort pre-fermentation.

If you wonder if you should use whirlfloc in the boil have a look at this little experiment I did a few years ago.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
      Clear wort into the fermenter alone definitely does not guarantee clear beer, but its does play a part (even if it is only a small part) in the bigger process to have crystal clear beer at the end of the day.

Trying to leave all the trub in the kettle behind without losing too much wort is difficult as is and not worth the trouble, the same goes for trub in the cube (kettle trub is also not proven to be bad for fermentation) My advice would be not to worry about separating the trub from the wort pre-fermentation.

If you wonder if you should use whirlfloc in the boil have a look at this little experiment I did a few years ago.
      Yeah that looks like it works. I've made wort with and without Irish Moss now a few times, and compared the worts on each time. I got similar results to this test: https://brulosophy.com/2015/03/16/th...iment-results/

But since I no-chill, the results were only visible the next morning (when the wort has cooled down). I've found a definitely more solid "trub cake" in wort made with irish moss, but I dump it all into the fermenter anyway. I also fine with gelatin, which I have to say, has "mixed results" for me when bottling, so I dunno.

I made a batch this time without Irish Moss (my pilsner fermenting now) and I have to say one thing - the sediment layer in the bottom is significantly higher than before. I usually measure about 1l, to 1.5l of sediment in the bottom of the fermenter. This time, the layer is over the tap level, meaning around 3l. I'm not sure if the sediment is just not compacted or if it has something to do with the fact that I'm using a lager yeast (a German Pilsner strain), but it was quite a shocker for me last night when I noticed it.

Comment

• My pal says it best. I do nothing to clear my beer (except cold crash) and then I'm bummed if it's not clear.
        The reason I'm bummed though is coz it usually does clear by itself. Just give it 3 weeks

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• 3.8% abv SAB pale, 20% tastic rice and a little bit of biscuit malt, BIAB, 1 tablet of crap in the boil at 10 min, no-chill, Oslo Kveik 18°C , no cold crash, no gelatin, kegged it 8 days ago.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
          Harhm
          Last edited by Harhm; 29 May 2020, 17:18.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Exactly the same beer brewed with 20% Kellogs Corn flakes, fermented side by side, kegged the same day

Comment

• AMAZING clarity! And how was the comparison between breakfast beer and dinner beer?

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Brewing my first Wit I was going to use Wheat bix for flaked wheat (I did not have any flaked wheat and my closest LHBS is 120km away), but when I saw the iron content that idea flew out the window.
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Cheers to some winter afternoon sun...

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem
                    Actually I dont care, I won't be replicating any of this..ever.

Do check the Iron content in cornflakes vs the recommended daily amount. Iron overdose is a thing, be sure to tell whomever you're sharing this with that it has an x% of iron in it and the dailydose is n.

No beer should ever contain Iron, but you know "better" so there is that. Don't believe me ask google.

Homebrew shops generally don't sell repackaged cornflakes, but flaked maize sans iron.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                    Brewing my first Wit I was going to use Wheat bix for flaked wheat (I did not have any flaked wheat and my closest LHBS is 120km away), but when I saw the iron content that idea flew out the window.
                    Yes you are correct I do know better, at 20% of the grainbill you will have to drink 20 of these beers to reach the recommended daily allowance of 20mg of iron for a adult male.

Comment

• Gose, brewed with coriander seed, lime zest and Himalayan salt pH 3.4 Bottled it 2 weeks ago

Harhm
                      Last edited by Harhm; 8 June 2020, 07:16.

Comment

Yes you are correct I do know better, at 20% of the grainbill you will have to drink 20 of these beers to reach the recommended daily allowance of 20mg of iron for a adult male.

From research I have found that the recomened iron content in beer should be no more than 1mg/L. More than 1mg/L cann have a detrimental effect on taste and colour.
                        https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/z0QfFWKntf/

The recomended dialy dosage for people is about 8mg per day. My Belgain Wit uses 2kg flaked wheat. Weet-bix (Bokomo) contains 11.3mg per 100g.
                        https://www.bokomo.co.za/our-products/weetbix-biscuits/ This gives a total of 226g of iron. My final batch of beer is about 22L. This equates to approx 10.3mg/L.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                          From research I have found that the recomened iron content in beer should be no more than 1mg/L. More than 1mg/L cann have a detrimental effect on taste and colour.
                          https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/z0QfFWKntf/

The recomended dialy dosage for people is about 8mg per day. My Belgain Wit uses 2kg flaked wheat. Weet-bix (Bokomo) contains 11.3mg per 100g.
                          https://www.bokomo.co.za/our-products/weetbix-biscuits/ This gives a total of 226g of iron. My final batch of beer is about 22L. This equates to approx 10.3mg/L.
                          So you can drink 2L per day to reach your RDA for Iron. The chances of you getting a accumalative iron overdose from your beer is less than the chance of you getting hit by a bus. Stop googling BS and just brew the beer or dont, your choice :-)

Harhm
                          Last edited by Harhm; 8 June 2020, 08:29.

Comment

• Im volunteering to drink 20 of these beers in a day... for science
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-04 at 19.05.56.jpeg
                              One german lager.
                              No idea what the iron content is...as I saw that barley has an iron content of 3.2mg per 100 gram
                              Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                              Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

So you can drink 2L per day to reach your RDA for Iron. The chances of you getting a accumalative iron overdose from your beer is less than the chance of you getting hit by a bus. Stop googling BS and just brew the beer or dont, your choice :-)

Each to his own. I will not allow so much iron in my brew. Ordered flaked wheat from LHBS and brewed the wit, one of my best.

P.S. Maybe I should brew a small batch with wheat bix and see what the results are as to taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X