X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2201[/ATTACH]

The pale ZA hop blend smash

Clearing slowly, but getting there. Not much of a looker, as expected, but the harshness is smoothing out and the bitterness is fading (never had that with a beer before) and it's turning into a very clean easy drinking beer.

Lacing and holding head better than expected for pale malt-only
    Great looking beer.
    Lacing looks good, might even still improve. I like a head that subsides into thin cover like that. Appropriate for the style.

Al beers change a lot from bottling to 3 or 4 weeks after full carbonation. Lots of chemical and biological processes still happening. Good reason to test 1 every week ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Harhm
    Last edited by Harhm; 2 November 2019, 07:14.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• The last of my Oktoberfest - Very easy recipe with a complex rich malt flavour: Equal amounts of Pilsner and Munich with 6% Melanoiden malt. Hallertauer 40g @ 60min and 15g @ 20min (1.055 and 25 IBU)
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 11 November 2019, 11:45.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• That is one good looking beer, man!

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
          The last of my Oktoberfest - Very easy recipe with a complex rich malt flavour: Equal amounts of Pilsner and Munich with 6% Melanoiden malt. Hallertauer 40g @ 60min and 15g @ 20min (1.055 and 25 IBU)
          Nice Beer

That grain & hop bill could even work for a Belgian Blonde if you up it to ± 7% abv and some T-58 yeast ......

Im saying this because I was researching that this morning as I have T58 in the fermenter at the moment for a "re-pitch" and I came up with a pilsner/pale mix ... with 500g munich and about 250g melano

Didn't put pencil to paper yet
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            Nice Beer

That grain & hop bill could even work for a Belgian Blonde if you up it to ± 7% abv and some T-58 yeast ......

Im saying this because I was researching that this morning as I have T58 in the fermenter at the moment for a "re-pitch" and I came up with a pilsner/pale mix ... with 500g munich and about 250g melano

Didn't put pencil to paper yet
            Interesting, if I knew this I would have split the wort and pitch T58 in half the batch and 34/70 in the other half and brew 2 very different beers from the same wort.

You can always add 10% sugar or dark candy syrup to the fermentation side to dry it out and raise the abv. Except for Belgian yeast and raising the fermentation temp what did I miss to make it more Belgian? Enzymes for high attenuation? It might be closer to a Belgian Dubbel?

I have only brewed Belgian dark strong ales and only used WLP530 but would gladly try a dry yeast. Not a lot of guys on the forum are brewing Belgian style beers.
            Harhm
            Last edited by Harhm; 12 November 2019, 11:40.

Comment

• I have never used liquid yeast only dry yeast.
              Liquid yeast expensive, could farm / wash the yeast but time is usually the issue, plus you need to do a starter. Dry yeast just sprinkle onto wort. Mmm maybe I am just being lazy.
              That having been said I would still love to try liquid yeast when time allows, hopefully soon.

Brewed.
              Belgian Wit (M21 - Belgian Wit yeast)
              Belgian Dark strong and Belgian Golden strong (M41 - Belgian ale yeast)
              2 x Belgian Abbey (M47 - Belgian Abbey yeast)

In December planning
              Belgian Saison (Fermentes Be-134)
              Belgian IPA (M31 - Belgian Tripel yeast)
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• HeHe, sounds like BeerHolic is the man to get the Belgian info from. I just Googled 'what to brew with t-58 yeast' and one of the hits was a Belgian Blonde and yes the recipe did call for some sugar ... I will probably go with honey if I brew this.

Info on the yeast:
                Safbrew T-58

T-58 is spicy and estery, which make it ideal for continental beer styles. The profile can tend to be somewhat peppery and spicy in flavor. The yeast forms a good sediment, but tends to be powdery which can result in a hazy beer when agitated. The suspended yeast can make for a good bottle conditioning yeast since you will ensured that a decent amount of yeast makes its way into the bottle. When the yeast does settle out, it does not clump together in clusters. Apparent attenuation is about 70%. The acceptable fermentation temperature range is 54°-77° F (12°-25° C) and the optimal temperature is 59°-68° F (15°-20° C). Some good choices to brew with this would be Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Tripels, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Dark Strong, Belgian IPA, Belgian Dubble, Belgian Witbier.
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Australian Sparkling Ale - Lots of flavours playing a role. Balancing the esters, hops, malt and yeast is tough to do well. I won our club competition for the style

Harhm
                  Last edited by Harhm; 22 December 2019, 14:44.

Comment

Australian Sparkling Ale - Lots of flavours playing a role. Balancing the esters, hops, malt and yeast is tough to do well.

Need to try one of these soon, are you ready to share the recipe?

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                      Pretty much a highly carbed and high attenuated bottled pale ale that you should decant the sediment into the bottle for cloudiness / yeasty flavor. I haven't seen pride of ringwood in SA, so some sub, EKG,Galena/Centennial? Likely US04 / LC025(WLP009) at higher temp to throw some esters to the pilsner/2-row grainbill with sucrose to dry it out, looks darker than just 2 row, so some cara added.

With most styles it's all about balance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Good lookin' beers there Harhm
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                          Sure, Ill pm you. I won our club competition with it so its already up there but I have a change or 2 in mind that Ill include. (Some of the guys got hold of some Pride of Ringwood, don't go trough the trouble I wasn't impressed with the hop)

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                          Good lookin' beers there Harhm
                          Thanks
                          Harhm
                          Last edited by Harhm; 19 November 2019, 05:49.

Comment

Sure, Ill pm you. I won our club competition with it so its already up there but I have a change or 2 in mind that Ill include. (Some of the guys got hold of some Pride of Ringwood, don't go trough the trouble I wasn't impressed with the hop)

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                              you should decant the sediment into the bottle for cloudiness / yeasty flavor.
                              Don't do this guys.The flavor from the yeast should come from the yeast esters and not the yeast in the bottle. At the competition/tasting the guys served one beer twice but the second time around they swirled and decanted the yeast with the beer resulting in the beer scoring less than when it was served without the yeast.
                              Harhm
                              Last edited by Harhm; 19 November 2019, 13:44.

Comment

• I don't intend to, I saw that from bjcp2015 guide for the style. Guess the guidelines are just guidelines and judges prescribe to personal taste preferences more than stylistic authenticity.

I prefer my beer clear

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X