This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
    German Pilsner: BIAB, no-chill, cold crashed, bottled and lagered for 4 months.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2031[/ATTACH]
    Looking Good!
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
      Looks good, hows it taste ?, doing my first Pilsner in August.

Checking recipes on web, some people use a 3 - 5 % caramel pills / hell. What would you suggest ? or rather a few percent Melanoiden ?, you prevoiusly mentioned using it in a Pilsner.
      You are in luck, I actually brewed 2 German Pisners side by side because I also couldn't decide between Cara hell or Melanoiden.

I personally like the malt profile of the cara hell Pilsner a bit more, although it has a richer malt profile than just Pilsner malt its a bit smoother and softer drinking than my 5% melanoiden Pilsner.
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 2 July 2019, 13:00.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

You are in luck, I actually brewed 2 German Pisners side by side because I also couldn't decide between Cara hell or Melanoiden.

I personally like the malt profile of the cara hell Pilsner a bit more, although it has a richer malt profile than just Pilsner malt its a bit smoother and softer drinking than my 5% melanoiden Pilsner.
        Thanks, will go for the cara hell, do not have the setup to do side by side at this stage.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I originally set out to brew a Irish Red Ale but accidentally ended with a beer in between a Irish red and a Dry Irish Stout. It tastes like a Guinness with less roast and it is also not as dry as a Dry Irish Stout. Unfortunately its not possible to get that real Guinness creaminess without Nitrogen but it still has a very good head with fine bubbles.

I added the roasted barley and Cara munich III that was already crushed to the base grains and double crushed it, increasing the flavour and colour of the beer more than I expected. I did add some oats to the grains for a bit more mouth feel from the start so I suppose it might be closer to a Oatmeal Stout but still need a bit more oats to be a Oatmeal Stout.

Its a great drinking beer and will definitely not last long.

20190706_170907.jpg
          Harhm
          Last edited by Harhm; 9 July 2019, 07:50.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• ^ Sounds like my kind of beer

Comment

• Don't you just love brewing, those accidents that turn into something great.
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Just realized I've never attempted an Irish Red ale...something to try out, do you have to run nitrogen or would co2 do?

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  Just realized I've never attempted an Irish Red ale...something to try out, do you have to run nitrogen or would co2 do?
                  CO2 Is fine, about 2 volumes does the trick. I carbonate English styles with suremix it makes a difference imo

Comment

CO2 Is fine, about 2 volumes does the trick. I carbonate English styles with suremix it makes a difference imo
                    Where do you get your suremix from? Afrox?

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      Where do you get your suremix from? Afrox?
                      Sorry for the delay I went hunting. Yes from Afrox, try and get Suremix 60 (60% CO2 40% Nitrogen)
                      Harhm
                      Last edited by Harhm; 10 July 2019, 19:28.

Comment

Sorry for the delay I went hunting. Yes from Afrox, try and get Suremix 60 (60% CO2 40% Nitrogen)
                        Do they allow you to open an account for bottle rental as an individual, or did you do it through a company?

I've been renting a bottle through my company for a while now, but won't be able to for much longer.

Comment

• Originally posted by robcass View Post
                          Do they allow you to open an account for bottle rental as an individual, or did you do it through a company?I've been renting a bottle through my company for a while now, but won't be able to for much longer.
                          I cant remember to be honest, its unlikely that I would use work details for beer stuff

20190709_074421.jpg

10% Belgian Dark Strong
                          Harhm
                          Last edited by Harhm; 11 July 2019, 15:55.

Comment

• ^ Nice

Comment

I cant remember to be honest, its unlikely that I would use work details for beer stuff

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2034[/ATTACH]

10% Belgian Dark Strong
                              Now that is beautiful. Age and tasting notes?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                                Now that is beautiful. Age and tasting notes?
                                Thanks guys.
                                Kegged it 1 July, medium sweet start with rich Caramel malt and a medium dry finish. Low fruity esters mostly raison, medium to high spicy phenols pepper, no real noticeable clove (I dont like clove so Im happy with this) WLP 530 @ 18 ° Moderate to high but still pleasant alcohol warmth considering the high abv. Im planning to bottle and wax seal a few for long term storage.
                                Harhm
                                Last edited by Harhm; 15 July 2019, 11:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X