Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks awesome did the oats do the job?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
      Looks awesome did the oats do the job?

I suppose so - it had a fluffy head, but still not as smooth as the one I had on tap at the bar/restaurant - then that could have been on nitro.. I will in a future brew add more oats and see then. Beer was/is a winner regardless.

I still have to do a side by side comparison with the regular KH, tho they are very similar. The oats KH wee bit more cloudy.. but can't really tell taste wise. Std KH also very smooth.

I brewed a amber pale ale while back and that had a good silky mouthfeel.. moreso than these two KH varieties. I brewed another amber pale ale yesterday.. I suspecting the melanoidin malt giving that creamy feel. I posted the grainbill yesterday morning.
      AlexBrew
      Last edited by AlexBrew; 18 November 2020, 14:50.

Comment

• There is always 1 more thing to consider. Look at the cl:so4 ratio of your water. Maybe aiming for a more malt focused profile will help?

Comment

• I've not progressed to the water chemisty part of brewing yet... but will play around with the grainbill, do research .. till I find something that works. Its the adventure of experiments for me.
          I'm using filtered harvested rain water - tastes like good springwater from the shops.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
            I've not progressed to the water chemisty part of brewing yet... but will play around with the grainbill, do research .. till I find something that works. Its the adventure of experiments for me.
            I'm using filtered harvested rain water - tastes like good springwater from the shops.
            yeah that's probably removing most of the minerals you actually want in your brew. Not to mention that your yeast also need minerals for a healthy fermentation.

Comment

• Mmm. Thinking about it, harvested rainwater has probably very little minerals in it. It's not like it's Alpine glacier water! more like RO water and considdering it's probably a good clean slate to start off with. I'll get some white stuff from my LHBS. Probably the next step in my learning curve. What chemicals you guys suggest I should get? Is there a guideline as to which beer styles need what chemical bill? I haven't googled yet - asking first.Thx

Comment

Mmm. Thinking about it, harvested rainwater has probably very little minerals in it. It's not like it's Alpine glacier water! more like RO water and considdering it's probably a good clean slate to start off with. I'll get some white stuff from my LHBS. Probably the next step in my learning curve. What chemicals you guys suggest I should get? Is there a guideline as to which beer styles need what chemical bill? I haven't googled yet - asking first.Thx
                Just go fetch water at the Newlands spring.

Comment

• You will need a PH meter as well if you are going to open this can of worms I think. I havent started yet but Brew father has a few water profiles that you can choose depending on the type of beer.

waterprofile.jpg

Comment

Mmm. Thinking about it, harvested rainwater has probably very little minerals in it. It's not like it's Alpine glacier water! more like RO water and considdering it's probably a good clean slate to start off with. I'll get some white stuff from my LHBS. Probably the next step in my learning curve. What chemicals you guys suggest I should get? Is there a guideline as to which beer styles need what chemical bill? I haven't googled yet - asking first.Thx
                    I have Calcium Chloride, Gypsum (both from brewmart) and Epsom salts(dischem). I buy my water from a local water shop and got their water report from them(didnt trust whts on the bottle)
                    I've added it to Brewfather and use it as my base everytime i brew. Brewfather lets you select a desired style of water profile then i adjust using the salts to achieve my desired profile.

Comment

• @AlexBrew You will have to have that rainwater tested so you have a base to start from ... Don't assume its the same as RO. Do you always brew with rainwater right through the year, cause then it might be worth it to pay for that test.

Someone here posted once where you can have it tested ... maybe they see this thread.
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I have queried a local laboratory when I started brewing and was quoted rather expensive at the time R1600 (something like that - but that was comprehensive)... I'm reconsiddering the option again - ask them just to test the basic mineral contents. Seeing that I have spent waaaay more than the test fees on brew stuff - possibly worth my while.

Comment

• I paid R1200 for my water tests back when i had my borehole sunk. It is worth it though.
                          But i dont amend, im to scared of that rabbit hole

Comment

• My 2.5% abv Skinny Lager. Very nice flavour and body for such a small beer.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• 4.6% International Pale Lager. Belgian pale ale malt, Centennial and Saaz.

2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                                4.6% International Pale Lager. Belgian pale ale malt, Centennial and Saaz.

But a how? You paid a sangoma to clear your beer yes? Man all your beer are super clear!! Well done

Comment

Working...
                                X