Heerlijk Rood Vlaams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heerlijk Rood Vlaams

Because of space constraints I haven't really expanded into full scale mashing. BIAB was also considered, but I'm wandering off topic.
    My next next brew will be a Heerlijk Rood Vlaams. The style is basically a sour Flanders red ale. I'm planning an abv of 4-5% with an IBU of 23.
    The bill:

Golden light extract
    Belgian Special B
    Vienna or Munich or Cara
    Hallertauer Mittelfrüh
    Either Nottingham Ale yeast or Belle Saison yeast.

2.5 impgal boil,
    5 ImpGal batch.

What are your thoughts?
    PS. The recipe is still in its infancy. Recipe subject to change. I may have forgotten to list something.
    Primary: Bohemian Lager
    Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
    Next up: Bohemian Lager
    Then: Bohemian Lager
    And Then: Bohemian Lager
    Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
    "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

I would not use Nottingham for this recipe if you're after the sourness. I would use T-58. Have you thought of using a partial sour mash on this? Easy enough to do.
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

No I haven't actually thought about sour mash. Good idea. Thank you. How would you go about creating spent beer for the sour mash?

I was thinking in the lines of:
      1) Do a small batch with fermentables with yeast
      2) Use 1 for the starter and pitch into the fermenter

- - - Updated - - -

No I haven't actually thought about sour mash. Good idea. Thank you. How would you go about creating spent beer for the sour mash?

I was thinking in the lines of:
      1) Do a small batch with fermentables with yeast
      2) Use 1 for the starter and pitch into the fermenter

Comment

Brennan, apologies for the delay, but here is the technique, courtesy of Brew Your Own

Sour Mashing: Techniques

Author: Dave GreenIssue: October 2008

Do you like beers with a little tart twinge to them? Or would you like to acidify your mash without adding calcium? If so, you may want to think about sour mashing — the other sour brewing technique.

Have you caught the sour love yet? Are you the type of person that will only buy or try to clone Guinness in its Extra Stout version? Fan of Flemish or lambic style beers? Soured beers can be some of the most refreshing to the palate on a hot summer day, or after a long day at work. If you don’t believe me, try picking up a bottle of Rodenbach, or if you can find one, a Berliner Weisse.

Soured beers are quickly gaining popularity among beer lovers and brewers alike. Greg Noonan at Vermont Pub & Brewery in Burlington, Vermont is one brewer getting in on sour mashing currently with four beers in his line-up, a wheat beer, a Flanders red, a wit beer, and a framboise. While a sour mash is not traditional with these beer styles, it is one technique you can utilize to create the sour characteristics in these beers. It doesn’t matter whether you are an extract or all-grain brewer, a sour mash is a fairly easy process that requires little in the way of special equipment.

Traditionally there were two reasons for a brewer to purposefully sour mash. The first was to biologically acidify the mash to comply with the Rheinheitsgebot Purity Law. Utilizing a sour mash for biological acidification of pale brews produces a “softer” malt profile. The second reason was to make a true sour beer like a Kentucky Common, which distillers in the Appalachian Region of the US made as an offshoot to their sour-mashed whiskey.

There are several methods you can employ to create a soured beer. Simple techniques include adding lactic acid to your brewing water or including acidulated malt to your grain bill. Both techniques are going to lower the pH levels of both the mash and final wort, giving a tart, sour edge to the final beer depending how much is added. More advanced techniques include adding either cultured lactic acid bacteria or Brettanomyces, a mixed lambic culture of Brettanomyces, Pediococcus and Lactobaccillus or oaking the beer with unsanitized oak ingredients while the beer is in secondary stages of fermentation. The final technique in the homebrewers quiver would be performing a sour mash, which is the only technique I will be discussing in this article.

The goal of a sour mash is to employ the work of Lactobaccillus delbruckii to a great extent while limiting the work of other critters such as fungi or bacteria like Acetobacter or Clostridium. You can accomplish this by pitching a live culture of Lactobaccillus, by controlling the temperature of the mash and by limiting the oxygen introduced to the mash. Acetobacter, as the name implies will produce acetic acid, the key acid in vinegar. Acetobacter will only play a significant role if the sour mash is incubated for an extended time period. You will know when Acetobacter has taken hold when the mash vessel, upon opening, has a cidery-like vinegar smell. While you would like to minimize the vinegar included in the mash, it will not spoil your attempts at creating a clean sour beer if kept in check. Acetobacter needs oxygen and will only grow on the top of the mash. If you seal the top of the mash by laying some plastic wrap across the top, pushing all the air bubbles out in the process then you can greatly decrease the opportunity for Acetobacter to act. Clostridium on the other hand produces butyric acid, which is a foul-smelling acid, faintly resembling my freshman year dorm, a mixture of rank locker room smell mixed with vomit. If Clostridium takes hold in the mashing vessel, it is rather apparent right away and make sure to keep away from significant others if you enjoy their company. I would advise dumping the mash if Clostridium takes hold. But some people seem to be okay adding this rank concoction to their beer stating that the odor can be boiled away. In general, a foul-smelling mash is going to yield a foul-smelling beer. A little “funk” in the mash is OK (some aromas will get scrubbed in the boil and fermentation), but too much and it should be discarded. Skimming the top of the mash can get rid of many off odors. A good sour mesh smells “cleanly” sour. L. delbruckii produces lactic acid, an odorless acid that got its name because it is the spoiling agent in milk when lactose is broken down.

See the rest of the article here

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

No sweat. Thank you for the link. I think a sour ale will expand my repertoire nicely.

Comment

Working...
          X