Keeping fermentation temperatures constant without chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 on the STC1000 they work great.

If you can do a little bit of arduino coding you can get away a little cheaper with a micro controller and a small solid state relay.
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

Comment

Thanks gents, can you tell me what the range is in those STC1000 temp controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

R400 - R500. And you going to need another odd R500 for enclosures, plugs, wires. I was at Brewmart in Centurion on Saturday and they do have stock.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
        Primary: APA
        Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
        Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
        Next up: world domination

Comment

Depends how desperate you are - you can get on eBay for about R150 but you're going to wait 8 weeks for delivery.
          There are two ways to hook it up - either on the power cord or by replacing the existing thermostat in your fridge. Personally I think replacing the thermostat is neater and better but it's harder to do (you need to know something about wiring to take the right connections from the current thermostat to the STC-1000)

And because we like to, here are some photos;
          1) STC-1000 mounted in fridge door
          2) Wiring from STC to replace thermostat
          3) Immersion chiller from full coil of copper

20170307_175331 (Large).jpg20170307_175418 (Large).jpg20170307_175442 (Large).jpg
          camsaway
          Last edited by camsaway; 4 April 2017, 08:41.

Comment

Awesome thanks, I will keep that in mind if my fridge doesnt do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerneels View Post
              Awesome thanks, I will keep that in mind if my fridge doesnt do the job.
              For around R450 I'd just buy one. Wiring it up is easy. Your fridge's thermo setting isn't accurate enough and you're gonna spend weeks screwing around and ruining beer. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Noted for sure! I don't want to screw up the first batch I make due to a fridge not working with me.

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                For around R450 I'd just buy one. Wiring it up is easy. Your fridge's thermo setting isn't accurate enough and you're gonna spend weeks screwing around and ruining beer. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                  For around R450 I'd just buy one.
                  Agreed. The best R450 you'll ever spend.

Comment

Keeping fermentation temperatures constant without chamber

There has been a lot of Stc temp controller discussions on here. Here is what i use for a few Rands cheaper

These sell at R150 and you hook it up on your power cord supplying your deepfreeze. In winter you can add a lamp or heating pad. It keeps a very constant temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                      There has been a lot of Stc temp controller discussions on here. Here is what i use for a few Rands cheaper

These sell at R150 and you hook it up on your power cord supplying your deepfreeze. In winter you can add a lamp or heating pad. It keeps a very constant temp.

Where do you buy that, what do I ask for? Never seen it
                      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                        Where do you buy that, what do I ask for? Never seen it
                        Harhm they call it a + 30 - 30 thermostat. It is used in cold rooms. It does the same as the stc by turning the power to the fridge off at a certain temp you can also connect a heat source. Same principal as stc. As for where to get it i get mine from a local refrigiation company. Google will help track a local supplier.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I know a guy ;-)

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
                          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Remember seeing one on beerkeg website

Comment

Working...
                            X