Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beersmith, which hop utilisation formula?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beersmith, which hop utilisation formula?

Beersmith offers three hop utilisation formulas under Options\Bitterness namely, Tinseth (default), Rager or Garetz. The obvious question is "which one do I use?".

The Rager formula gives the highest IBU estimation, followed by Tinseth with Garetz estimating significantly lower than the other two.

It seems to be generally accepted that Glenn Tinseth's formula, being the latest is probably the most accurate, although this does not seem to have been conclusively proved throughout the variable range and various sources cite significant inaccuracies (IBU can be measured in a lab).

Personally I will stick with the default Tinseth but see it as a relative scale rather than an accurate measure of bitterness.

A minor problem arrives if you are brewing a recipe from Brewing Classic Styles for example, you will struggle to match the IBU's correctly with Tinseth because Jamil (the author) uses Rager. You need to change the setting to Rager to work out the recipe.
    "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Almost all sources of recipes I have come across use Tinseth. It's a recurring theme on BYO. But yes the point is check which people are using in their recipe development.

I have seen people blame the software for bitterness being off, without realizing that gravities play a very important role on perceived bitterness.
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I use whatever Jamil says!

Listen to the podcast on Brewing Network where Jamil discusses the various measurements. [Spoiler] All of them are flawed in some ways.

- - - Updated - - -

I use whatever Jamil says!

Listen to the podcast on Brewing Network where Jamil discusses the various measurements. [Spoiler] All of them are flawed in some ways.

Comment

Working...
      X